Please sign in to post.

Spain

Okay, so my daughter and I have decided to go to France in September. We were considering taking one or two of the days to dip into Spain and go to Barcelona. Someone said that we needed a visa to do so. That our passports were not enough. Does anyone know anything about this?
Thanks.

Posted by
11507 posts

If you are American you do not need a visa to go to Spain, suggest you not take any other travel advice off this friend, this wasn't even a hard one, lol

Posted by
11507 posts

Also don't know your plans for France, but did Paris, then trained to Nice, then flew from Nice to Barcelona ( on Vueling, cost 40 euros roughly and took less then an hour) then flew from Barcelona back to Paris on Easyjet, cost was 97 euros, all in , for both of us, took 1.5 hours). Buy your plane and train tickets WELL in advance, months and months, for best prices.

Posted by
9363 posts

I agree with Pat. "Someone" doesn't know squat. Your passports are all you need.

Posted by
265 posts

What Visa? Maybe she meant a that they only take Visa and Mastercard, but no AMEX. Maybe she went to Spain back in the Fascist Franco days? Just take your passport, that's all you'll need (you'll also need your credit cards, ATM card and of corse CASH). Get the Rick Steves book at Barnes and Noble on Sain, France, Paris or where ever your going to visit in France, you need it. Does that someone live in a third world country? Sorry, it's just incredible how mis-informed some people can be and the poor advice that people can give.

Posted by
23 posts

I don't think so, Mary! Once you have had your passport stamped as you entered the E.U., you're "good to go" entering Spain or other E.U. countries. Spain's tourist visa is automatic and good for 90 days. Past that, you are supposed to apply for a longer status or go home. You can then return after having been out of Spain for 91 days. Is this "September" of next year? Best,
Phyllis in Spain