Please sign in to post.

Spain and Portugal

My daughter is studying in Granada,Spain this spring and we are planning to visit her during Easter week. We were thinking of renting a car and driving to Lisbon. Wondering if you have an opinion or suggestion for an interesting route to take? Or is it not a good idea? Thanks, Patti

Posted by
9110 posts

A really good route is to ignore any mapping software (which would probably take you through the Algarve) and go from Granada to Cordoba, then Sevilla, then toward (but not to) Badajoz (cut early) and thence through Elvas and Evora to Lisbon. I've been to Lisbon often enough, but not a big fan. I'd probably elect not to go that far unless there's something you really want to see. My picks for southern Portugal are the hill towns along the Spain-Portugal southern border. Here's the kicker, and it's only anectdotal, so take it with a grain of salt. I've spent a lot of time in Spain and a fair chunk in the southern portion. Two years ago we were making a mad dash from Cadiz to Valencia during holy week. Not only were most car rental places closed, but so were gas stations on the back roads, restaurants that we liked, and a whole bunch of other things (including stores). I don't know about attractions, but I'd sure do a lot of checking. It appeared that they pretty much closed Andalucia and went home.

Posted by
30 posts

Easter is a big travel time for Spaniards, city hotels are packed, parades mess with road traffic. Check your dates and plan for delays. We were just in Granada and there is a lot of construction in town. Roads around town (what we'd call a bypass) are fine. I'd suggest getting the car on the way out of town. Roads to and in Portugal are good, VERY good in Spain. It's an easy trip to Lisboa. Not sure of the route you plan to take, we took a route through Elvas, not along the coast, but there are some very nice towns along the way in Spain and Portugal.

Posted by
818 posts

We were in Portugal last year for Easter week and found most everything open. I loved Lisbon and really enjoyed exploring Evora and the entire Alentejo region.