Please sign in to post.

Spain

ok, travelers - we need your help. Here it is: A few years ago I traveled to Granada and Nerja and loved it! My fiance traveled to Madrid, Barcelona and Toledo last year while visiting his daughter who was teaching English in Madrid. We are now planning a trip back together. Where would any of you recommend we travel to on this trip. We will have 10 days of vacation to see what we can, and would love all of your recommendations. Thank you for your help!

Posted by
16406 posts

Would you like to show each other some of the places you enjoyed before, or go someplace new to both of you?

Posted by
10 posts

We are not totally sure about that. Traveling to Nerja is out because the weather really won't be warm enough for a beach town - at least I don't believe so. I would like to go to Granada, but I had my daughter as a tour guide; so I am not sure I would really know my way around!

Posted by
10 posts

Another question for all of you...any comments on NH hotels?

Posted by
255 posts

We stayed in NH hotels in Amsterdam. They are very nice hotels. Modern rooms and amentities. We also are doing the south of Spain middle to end of April. I am just starting the planning. We fly into Barcelona.
Are also hoping to take the ferry to Morocco.

Posted by
16406 posts

You don't need a tour guide for Granada! It is very walkable. I highly recommend Carmen del Alcubilla de Caracol near the Alhambra as a place to stay. Nice ambiance, welcoming host, great views. Ten days is not a lot of time. How about flying into Madred, include Toledo, Sevilla or Cordoba, and Granada. That is a nice loop you can do all by train. Toledo is lovely and romantic, and we were so glad we spent a couple of nights there instead of making a day trip.

Posted by
655 posts

Completely agree with Lola including lodging at the Carmen. If possible stay in the room at the top floor with the balcony. In addition to Madrid, must stops are Granada, Toledo, and Seville.

Posted by
10 posts

Wow, thanks to all of you - great ideas. I am so grateful for all of your help!

Posted by
16406 posts

Yes, that is the room! ( The one George described.)

Posted by
10 posts

Would any of you suggest that we travel to Portugal at all? This was a late night thought we had last evening!

Posted by
12172 posts

In Spain, unless you want to retrace one or the others steps, there is still room for: Avila, Segovia, Salamanca, Valladolid, Burgos, Bilbao, San Sebastian, or Pamplona (with stops a castles) if you want to stay north. Seville, Cordoba, Jerez, Arcos, Ronda, Gibraltar and Cadiz if you want to go south. If you're going mid summer, I'd probably choose north. If you will be there when the weather can be changable, go south.

Posted by
931 posts

Mary, I have to agree with Lola; spend your 10 days in Spain, and save Portugal for another trip. Pick up a copy of Rick's Spain book, peruse, and put together an itinerary. What time of year are you going? One year we did the beaches in So Portugal (Algarve) at XMass, and we were wading in the surf. But this year we were in the Costa Del Sol in the first of June and it was not that hot. South Spain and South Portugal can be lovely even in the middle of the winter.

Posted by
10 posts

Thank you all so very much! I really appreciate all of you taking the time to share your thoughts! I will re-share all of our adventures upon returning!