Please sign in to post.

Spain!

Me and a friend are going to Europe over the summer and fall. We are staying in London with some family but want to leave for extended periods of time. I really want to go to Spain. Does anyone have any suggestions on which cities would be the best for two Americans to live in for upwards of a month and a half. Any chance of finding some under the table work?

Posted by
9369 posts

No one here is going to help you find "under the table work", or suggest ways to circumvent Spanish law by working without a visa.

Posted by
23548 posts

I hope your Spanish is better than your English.

Posted by
792 posts

Did you two wake up on the wrong side of the bed? I think those harsh comments were a extremely cruel.

I can just imagine how you feel about the illegal immigrants working in the USA! Basically, heartless.

Posted by
9369 posts

There's nothing cruel or heartless in not supporting someone's desire to break the law in another country. The very fact that the poster calls it "under the table" work proves that he knows it is wrong.

Posted by
792 posts

Get a life Nancy. I think you have too much time on your hands to be policing the comments on this hotline, and then publicly humiliating people. I know I can do without your self righteous comments. Let's stick to the subject at hand - travel.

Posted by
792 posts

Hi Norma! No, I never met Reid. Wow, there really are a lot of nasty people in the world, or do most of them just happen to visit this website. Can we please stop the nonsense and stick to travel?

Posted by
837 posts

Kerry,
I'm not sure why you thought it important to chime in. Talk about "off the subject". I have seen responses which did not address the question. This is not one of those situations. The "under the table" work response was direct to the question. Oh, admittedly, the jibe about English usage did not address the question.

Posted by
792 posts

Gee sorry David, I just don't like seeing people be humiliated for asking a question. You'd think the guy was a murderer! Lighten up, Nancy, Norma & David. Now let's see who else must have the last word - or will this go on for days, weeks, months...I have to go to work shortly, so you guys play nice now.

Posted by
118 posts

Hi Reid,

How sad that no one's answering your question!

Madrid is great because it's central (the AVE high-speed train can get you to any major Spanish city in about 4 hours or less) and because it is very authentically Spanish. Barcelona is super fun, but more cosmopolitan -- less uniquely Spanish, if that makes sense. San Sebastian, in the Basque country, has a laid-back beach feel. There are MANY other great Spanish cities; I recommend watching Rick's Spain DVDs and seeing which towns pique your interest.

Rick's recent blog noted that Spain has 17 percent unemployment right now, which doesn't bode well for your job hunt. It would be a shame to take a job away from a native. That said, when I lived abroad, all of the Americans I knew worked either as English tutors or at English-speaking pubs.

Have a wonderful trip!

Posted by
2193 posts

You may wish to refer to these tourism sites for information about Spain, Barcelona, and Madrid:
www.spain.info
www.barcelonaturisme.com
www.esmadrid.com

This site has an abundance of information about international travel and is maintained by a community of younger, passionate people. You can find advice and ideas on how to make money legitimately while travelling:

www.thetravelersnotebook.com

Finally, check out this guidebook:

Let’s Go Spain & Portugal 2008