Please sign in to post.

Spain

Valencia is not even mentioned in the guide book....it sounds like a neat place to see. Is it worth it??

Posted by
59 posts

We spent a few days in Valencia while traveling between Granada and Barcelona via public transportation - bus between Granada and Valencia and then train to Benecarla (sp!!) - close to Peniscola (a really neat town) where we spent another few days before going on to Barcelona. Back to Valencia - it was a nice city with lots of activities. The market was amazing - stall after stall of beautiful hand made lace linens - table cloths, naphins, towels, etc. We did not regret spending two days there.

Posted by
629 posts

We also stopped in Valencia on the way from Barcelona to Granada in April. We only stayed 1 night and wished we had stayed longer. Nice city, great people and a very clean central area. We really enjoyed walking around the old center and had an easy time driving and finding parking. Enjoyed a reasonable and delicious dinner at a cafe on the main plaza. There is some info available that you can access through this web site http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/destinations/spain/valencia_chapter2008.htm. We would return to Valencia. You May Receive More Advice With A Different Title to Your Post

Posted by
1 posts

A brand new AVE fast train between Madrid and Valencia may mean Valencia will make a new edition. It's my understanding that it takes less than two hours, so Valencia will even be a daytrip possibility out of Madrid. Sorry I haven't been there but I'm also wondering about it.

Posted by
629 posts

I queried Rick about Valencia at his travel fest in Edmonds. He replied that although he has visited Valencia and enjoyed it, his guide books & tours are geared for people visiting Spain for about 3 weeks max. Valencia would not be a must see in that amount of time, IHO but not IMO.