Please sign in to post.

Southern Germany

Hi, Just booked flight to munich for early October with plans to stay in
munich the first night for Oktoberfest then on to at least garmisch and burchesgaden. Planning to use the train system to get around - does that seem reasonable or would it be cheaper and more convenient to rent a car? Suggestions for places to stay in munich? Other places?...we do not like touristy areas. Any suggestions are much appreciated. We will be there from 10-5 to 10-15.

Posted by
19109 posts

Although I really like Munich and Berchtesgaden, I wouldn't call either "not touristy" areas, particularly Munich at Oktoberfest time. I endorse using the train system. In my own analyses, a car is never anywhere near cheaper.

Posted by
12040 posts

"we do not like touristy areas." Berchtesgaden and Garmisch exist in their present form to serve the tourist industry, but there's a reason why so many people want to visit them. The town that Mr. Steves recommends, Reutte, is considerably less touristy, but it's also considerably less attractive. Depending on how much time you have, you may want to consider skirting over to the Bodensee. Have a look at Lindau and/or Friedrichshafen.

Posted by
813 posts

If you haven't already gotten a hotel in Munich for Oktoberfest, you'd better get on it. Hotels book out far in advance.

Posted by
67 posts

I second the importance to secure accommodations for Oktoberfest now. Munich sees an enormous swell of tourists and you may be too late to secure rooms or ideal rates at your preferred accommodations if you delay.

Posted by
345 posts

I wouldn't even try to stay in Munich during O'fest. Find a town outside Munich and go in by train. Hotel rates are double, sometimes triple for the Fest. It's a rip off.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks so much for all the advice! Forget the 'tourist' comment... We are taking the Bodensee suggestion and wondering which town or area would be good to choose a place to stay to see the lake as well as a day trip to Rhine Falls? Is one night enough?

Posted by
3049 posts

I prefer Lindau as a town, but Konstanz is nice as well, and much easier to reach the falls from there. It looks like you can get to the falls from Konstanz taking regional and local transit in about 90 minutes, not too bad.

Posted by
20236 posts

Look in to getting a "Bayern" ticket. You can ride regional trains throughout Bavaria during non rush hour for very reasonable rates without reservations.

Posted by
19109 posts

If they are going to Konstanz and Schaffhausen, the Bayern-Ticket isn't going to do them much good, but there is also a Baden-Württemberg-Ticket, similar to the Bayern-Ticket, but for BaWue. It cost about the same and is valid throughout Baden-Württemberg. It is also valid for the line along the coast of Bodensee from Lindau to Friedrichshafen and through Switzerland from Waldshut to Singen via Schaffhausen. Whether they stay in Konstanz or Singen, the BaWue ticket will be valid for all of their travel.

Posted by
4 posts

Looking at berchesgarten...is one night enough or is a minimum of 2 nights advised to enjoy the area? is bad reichenhall a good alternative or not as nice? thanks so much!