Please sign in to post.

South of France

My husband and I are spending 5 days in Southern France in Mid September. Flying into Nice and renting a car and then train to Paris. Should we stay in Avignon or Arles? Should we stay in one place or change locations to Marseille, Nice or someplace else? Currently planning on Saturday market in Arles, a winery/vineyard tour somewhere, afternoon in Les Beaux. Any suggestions on areas to stay, sights to see and vineyards to visit? We are looking for a French experience and don't plan on a lot of shopping that can be done in the United States.
Another plan was to stay 3 days in Provence then drive to Beaune for 2 nights.

Posted by
4132 posts

Arles over Avignon without a doubt. And I'd chose to spend the whole 5 days there, especially for the first time visit. There's lots to see with a car. (And I write as a big fan of Burgundy, but save it for another trip). Question: Are you stuck on flying into Nice? It is at least 3 hours from the Rhone, and there is an airport in Marseilles. Are you up for a drive like that jet lagged? Your plan is basically good. You should each read a few guidebooks to learn what you might like to do. Highlights for me were the Roman antiquities and the hill towns of the Luberon.

Posted by
17 posts

Thank you for the input. We are flying into Nice because my husband has a business meeting in Monte Carlo. Can you recommend any specific hotel? In Italy we stayed in an old castle that is now a winery (Castillo Banfi) and LOVED it but can't really find a similar place in Provence. Also, is there a specific winery you could recommend? We've heard that we will need reservations.

Posted by
10252 posts

I found Arles was a good home base and stayed 3 nights at Hotel Regence. It's not fancy, but it has provincial decor, and was nice and clean. It was also very reasonably priced. It's located on the river, just inside the wall. There is free parking on the street and I never had trouble finding a place to park. Since it is close to the wall it's easy drive in and out. I wish I had more time there. I think you should stay all 5 nights in Provence. It seems like a long way to go to Beaune for only 2 nights, which allows for only one full day there. Where else are you going and where do you fly home from?

Posted by
10252 posts

Another suggestion. You say you want to spend an afternoon in Les Baux. I recommend you go first thing in the morning. That's what I did, and we were able to enjoy it before all the tour buses showed up. I hear it gets very crowded in the afternoon. The market in Arles was outstanding!!

Posted by
98 posts

I agree with the suggestion to visit Les Baux first thing in the morning. Do not miss the Carrieres les Lumieres which should be your first stop. I believe they open at 9AM and if you are there at the opening you will be able to enjoy this one of a kind, amazing multi-media presentation without crowds. You can then go to the castle which is very interesting. Buy the combo ticket at Carrieres to save time and money. If you would like a suggestion on a different area in Provence to use as a base I highly recommend a B&B called Chambres Sous Olivier located 10 minutes outside of Isle Sur La Sorgue. You can read my review, and others on Trip Advisor. This is a charming old farm house that has been totally restored by the owners. The location is great for exploring the Luberon hill towns and the atmosphere and food are fantastic (they even have a pool which is great after a day of sightseeing). You can easily access Les Baux, Pont du Gard (another not-to-be-missed site), Arles, etc. from this area as well as many other beautiful towns. The Sunday market in Isle sur la Sorgue is known through out the area but again, you must get there early before the crowds descend on the town. Enjoy your trip....you will fall in love with Provence. I agree, save Beaune for another trip. You can easily spend 5 or 6 days in Provence and still wish you had more time. Bon Voyage!

Posted by
375 posts

We stayed in the historic city center of Avignon and loved it. Rented an apartment for the week. Only a couple of blocks from daily Les Halles market. Took day trips all over- Pont du Gard, Oranges, Arles, and more! Hit a couple of their weekly markets, too. Definitely go to Les Baux in the morning! We went and no one was there. Apparently it's the most visited site in Provence! So love the south of France! Have fun.