Please sign in to post.

Side trips from Barcelona

My neighbor and I are coming in two days early for a cruise sailing from Barcelona. I have those days scheduled to enjoy the city. When we return to Barcelona on 3 December, we want to take our last three days and stay somewhere with local charm. Any suggestions for somewhere close (castle hotel, village) where we can get a taste of a smaller town in Catalonia? We have to leave on the 7th of December. We won't have a car. Suggestions and logistical advice very welcome!

Posted by
2876 posts

There are many charming and picturesque seaside towns along the Costa Brava north of Barcelona. Our favorite happens to be Llafranc, but there are many others. If you want to head in that direction, you might want to focus on a bit larger town like Begur. I'm pretty sure you can take a bus from Barcelona to Begur, but you'd probably need a car for most of the smaller towns.

Posted by
2169 posts

We loved Collioure, which is actually in France but just 3-4 hour train ride from Barcelona. It's a picturesque little seaside village.

Also highly recommended to us was Girona, in Spain; we had planned a couple of days in each place but loved Collioure so much that we just stayed there!

You might check out both places and see what looks more appealing to you.

Posted by
629 posts

We stayed in Sitges in April, a 45 minute train ride down the coast from Barcelona. It's a nice sized town and an artist colony. Everything is within walking distance - there's a grocerie store next to the train station. When you're in Barcelona - don't miss Montserrat, one of the high lights of our trip. Enjoy!!

Posted by
1446 posts

The Teatro-Museo Dali in Figueres might be a good reason to choose this town. It's near the French border, so would make it easy to make it to Collioure on a day trip (change of train from Spanish to French system in Portbou, a border town). Or you can opt for Collioure itself, although a little lenghtier to get back to BCN because of the delays with the change of trains in Portbou. Which is the only reason why I would pick Figueres over Collioure. Better be delayed on a daytrip, then when trying to catch a plane...

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks guys. We've discussed it and decided to get a car after all. We can't wait to go!

Posted by
269 posts

Collioure is indeed amazing. Also, Tarragona is a wonderful city not far at all from Barcelona; very easy to get to via train. If you're into Roman history at all, it's a must-see. There's culture and personality, too.

Posted by
1446 posts

A car will make all the difference!
Read up on the Coasta Brava and the Costa Dorada, then decide which direction to go.

There are wine cellars to visit in Sant Sadurni d'Anoia (home of cava - Spanish champagne), which can be combined with a stop at the Montserrat monastery.

In the other direction (towards the French border), there's a Dali-themed day that can combine Figueres with Cadaques. You can go as far as Collioure and come back to BCN.

You can stop in Tossa de Mar. Lots of possibilities with a car...