Please sign in to post.

Short time in Switzerland

I really appreciate the responses and should be more specific, since I didn't realize that I would get this many. Since this is our first time in Europe we liked the sound of Paris and Switzerland. We would like to travel by train as our primary mode of transportation. Our itinerary is to take a train from Paris to an area in Switzerland (destination unknown) on a Monday June 16th and fly out of Zurich on Sunday the 22nd. Any place in Switzerland in-between this time frame is fair game. We are interested in seeing the mountain with country side and experience a feel for the culture. I mention Basel is because a friend of mine went there and loved it. Stated that it was representative of the old Switzerland and a unique piece of the culture. Others say that it is not recommended to the point popo the idea. We would like to visit the Interlaken area. Rick Steve's mentions it and highly recommended it. The two places recommended to stay are Lauterbrunnen and Murren. Keeping in mind above with the itinerary in mind I would like your ideas as to stay when we enter Switzerland from Paris, towns to stay in with the dates in mind to view, and when to end up in Zurich (I guess only one day).

Posted by
1717 posts

Hello Michael. You will be at Switzerland, 5 whole days. I recommend :
have overnight accommodation at Lauterbrunnen (in the Berner Oberland) three nights : June 16, 17, 18. Have overnight accommodation at Lucerne two nights: June 19, 20. Have overnight accommodation at Zurich one night : June 21, for you to be prepared for flying from the Zurich airport June 22.

Posted by
32212 posts

Michael, If I'm reading correctly, you have four days for touring in Switzerland. It would probably be a good idea to head to Zürich sometime on June 21 so that you'll be able to easily get to your outbound flight. With only four days, you could either split the time in perhaps Lucerne and the Berner Oberland, or focus just on the Berner Oberland with a day trip or two. Either Lauterbrunnen or Mürren would be a good choice (I tend to prefer Lauterbrunnen as it's more central for transportation in getting around that area). Cheers!