Please sign in to post.

salzburg & innsbruck

My husband and I will be travelling from Garmisch, Germany to Salzburg (time for Sound of Music and Eagles Nest) and then plan to end in Innsbruck, Austria...all in the closing week of October. Any recommendations on places to stay? eat? great additional tours or things to check out? We're young and adventurous....and it's highly likely that if we get swept up in the Salzburg area, we may not make it to Innsbruck. Thanks!!!

Posted by
32214 posts

laura, if you decide to visit Hallstatt when you're in the Salzburg area, your last sentence may turn out to be true. My suggestion would be to drop Innsbruck and add at least one night in Hallstatt. It will probably be a bit "chilly" there especially at night, but it's a beautiful place! Have a look at * www.gruenerbaum.cc/ * for information on one Hotel (cut & paste the link inside the asterisks). From Salzburg you could also make a day trip to Berchtesgaden (another beautiful spot). Happy travels!

Posted by
12172 posts

I liked Hall in Tyrol. Just down the road from Innsbruck. It has a great medieval center with Museums (if you have the time). We just walked around for a couple of hours then had lunch there. From Salzburg we also daytripped to Berchtesgaden for the Salt Mine tour.

Posted by
791 posts

You should do at least a day in Innsbruck, it's a beautiful little city and it'd be a shame to be that close and not see it.

Posted by
591 posts

It's only an extra hour to go to Salzburg via Innsbruck, so you can see both without much trouble. Stop at Mittenwald on the way to Innsbruck to see one of Germany's prettiest villages.

Posted by
281 posts

With what you say about Salzburg, The Sound of Music, etc... I would recommend that you skip Innsbruck. My wife and I left Salzburg to go Innsbruck based on a relative telling us we shouldn't miss Innsbruck. It was a great disappointment and I would not bother the next time. There is too much to see and do in Salzburg to cut it short. Innsbruck may have had the winter Olympics a couple of times, but it needs the snow to coverup what there isn't to do compared to Salzburg. I know others may disagree, and I am not trying to start a long string of replies here, but in a weeks time, I would do Garmisch and Salzburg, with day trips and tours from Salzburg.

Posted by
30 posts

I second the suggestion to go to Hallstatt. My husband and I went there last June expecting to just spend 1 night and ended up staying for 3 nights. We were enchanted by this small town on a lake. So peaceful and great change of pace from all of the cities.

Posted by
166 posts

Salzburg is absolutely charming!! We stayed at a RS recommended property Hotel Weisse Taube which is family owned. Breakfast was not the standard buffet, you ordered whatever you wanted which was a nice surprise. It was in the Old Town center right around the corner from Demel - a place you must go to have chocolate and a coffee Melange!! Another restaurant we enjoyed was Sternbrau. At this restaurant, you must try the Salzburger Nockerln - a dessert only served in Salzburg and out of this world!! I agree with others on a visit to Hallstatt which is my favorite village in Austria. We visited Innsbruck during the Christmas Markets and found it delightful. There is a place called Cafe Munding which serves the most wonderful hot chocolate in the world - a type of do-it-yourself with a pitcher of hot milk, a foil wrapped piece of chocolate and a bowl of whipped cream. Have fun!!!!