Please sign in to post.

Salzburg

We are going to Salzburg at the end of Sept. and staying at the Pitter Crown Plaza. Interested in the food available in their restaurant. Also any beer halls somewhat in the area.

Posted by
12172 posts

I don't recall the name but there is a good brewery walking distance from downtown. It wasn't very lively when I went (weeknight in fall) but the beer and food were decent and the prices good.

Posted by
9363 posts

That would probably be Augustinerbrau (Augie's, to us when I was a student in Salzburg).

Posted by
216 posts

Downtown is the huge Sternbräu (14 rooms, 3 beer gardens) right off Getreidegasse. I can recommend it highly: while it doesn't have Augie's option of purchasing from its vendor stores, it has excellent food and pretty good prices - plus amazing Austrian atmosphere in the midst of the tourist cauldron.

However, the BIG beer is Salzburg's own Stiegl Brauerei. Stiegl is Austria's best-loved beer. You can visit a large Stiegl branch just to the left of the Hohensalzburg funicular (look for the large signs). If you want to smell real beer fumes, though, you will have to go a couple of miles west to Stiegl-Brauwelt. It offers a brewery tour, great food in a restaurant and a cafeteria setting (at low prices) and a gift shop. If interested, google it for details.

Posted by
31 posts

The Augustiner Brewery was a blast. It closed a little earlier than I anticipated but it was easy to find a new friend and ask them where to go to next. We just followed the crowd. It is a very short walk from town or about 2 stops on the bus. We went the same night as a day game for the Salzburg soccer team and it was very entertaining. Have fun.