Please sign in to post.

Salzburg

I will be in Salzburg for only one day in October '08. Can anyone please recommend a reliable and interesting tour company that does a guided tour to Eagles' Nest from Salzburg. I have seen several sites on the internet, but not sure which one to take. Has anyone please had any first-hand experience in taking any one of these tours? Thanks in advance.

Posted by
852 posts

Hi Sam,
We have taken day tours from Salzburg on two different vacations. We confess, we never gave any thought to whether the tour company might not be reliable, but they certainly seemed to be. We tend to believe Salzburg / Austrian authorities would not tolerate fly-by-night local tour operations.
Even so, anything is possible. We suggest it may be useful to search at this Rick Steves web site for feedback previously offered by travelers.
Gute Reise! .... p

Posted by
9 posts

Hi Perry,

Thanks so much for your response. I'm glad you think there is no need to worry about the reliability - the reason I asked is that I paid for a tour in Rome last year via the internet with a well-known and supposedly-reputable tour company which gave me strict instructions to follow to print vouchers, ring to confirm when we got to Rome (all of which I did), only to turn up at the meeting point to be informed the tour had been cancelled. They did not contact me at my hotel or anything, although to their credit, they did refund me upon my return to Australia. My concern is that I don't want this to happen again because I will only be in Salzburg for one day and don't want to miss out on any opportunities, but given your response re the Austrian Government, then I shall go ahead and book. This has never happened to me before, but "once bitten, twice shy", so to speak !!! Thanks again for your help. I appreciate it.
Sam

Posted by
15 posts

Hi Sam,

I booked a tour with www.panoramatours.com for the Sound of Music coming this July. I found them through the Rick Steves book. They also have tours for Eagles Nest. So check it out. It starts about 50 euros and the tour ends October 31st.

Good luck!

Posted by
9 posts

Hi Diane,

Thanks for your suggestion. I will most certainly check this out. Best wishs for your own trip, too.

Kind regards,
Sam

Posted by
154 posts

I would only book a tour on sight... not the internet unless it's the " hop on hop off" tours. Even if you don't get a discount it's safer.

I took Bob's tours for sound of music..check them out and see if they tour the eagle's nest.

Have a fun trip. I loved Salzburg