Please sign in to post.

Sagrada Familia

We are considering visiting the Sagrada Familia while in Barcelona. Is going inside a must do or is seeing it from the outside good enough since time will be tight? If you don't purchase a ticket can you get up close and personal with the outside?

Posted by
973 posts

No, you can't see enough of the outside with a ticket.
Absolutely go inside, and use RS's book as a guide. We spent longer than we thought we would; the workshop and pictures below add a great deal. Kinda like going to the Vatican and not going inside St Peter's, in my opinion.

It was much more interesting than I expected- it's not just another European basilica. The guidebook is essential to know exactly what is portrayed.

Posted by
1178 posts

By all means, you MUST go inside to appreciate the work. Get your ticket on line before you go to Barcelona. See the website for the Sagrada Familia and purchase them there. Better still, become a family member and get admission and discounts and other perks as well...a great buy!!! Getting the ticket in advance, on line, will give you more time!!!

Posted by
6898 posts

Dennis, it would be such a loss to not see the inside. My first words upon entering were "this guy (Gaudi) is definitely certifiable". I've never seen anything this architecturally beautiful. The inside of this church is unlike any other on the planet. Here's a link to a sample picture. http://gyazo.com/8832a2f7cf245ea2079a78247c4ff232

Posted by
10206 posts

I agree that seeing the inside is remarkable. It's unlike anything else I've seen.

Posted by
32198 posts

Dennis,

I agree with others in that you MUST go inside La Sagrada Familia to see the magnificent beauty of the Church (which won't be finished for quite a few years). If so inclined, you can also take a trip up to the top of the Passion or Nativity Towers. I'd also recommend visiting the Museum underneath, as it provides a good background on Gaudi's vision for the design and construction.

Regarding ticket purchase, note that they're VERY punctual so be sure you're on time. I was there in June, and found that visitors will not be admitted either too early or too late. When I arrived at the entrance point, I was told that I was "too early" and would have to wait for six minutes. I'm not sure why that small amount of time would be a concern, but they were very strict about it.

Happy travels!

Posted by
73 posts

Well it looks like we are going inside I don't want to lose my passport.

Posted by
2745 posts

The inside of the cathedral is breathtaking. GO. Do not miss it.

Posted by
380 posts

Dennis

Take the virtual tour on the Sagrada website and you'll see why everyone is telling you to go inside.

If you can, buy tickets for just when they open to avoid the crowds. We got there at 8:30am for the 9:00am entrance on a Sunday morning and there was already a line. We rented the audio guide which was pretty good and you can proceed at your own pace. We did not do the crypt or the towers.

Posted by
1878 posts

That virtual tour is really amazing, It's very strange to me to see how great it looks, because when when we were there in September 2005 it was a total disaster. The entire interior was obscured by scaffolding and/or covered in plastic. It was the tail end of the tourist season and I guess they had just ramped up the construction. I felt totally ripped off, but having seen this I will give it another chance on by next visit to Barcelona.

Posted by
1078 posts

Of all the things I have experienced in Europe entering the Sagrada Familia and just standing and gazing upward was one of my most lasting memories! Please take time to just sit and enjoy the quiet while the light filters through the ceiling windows, it is by far my favorite church in Europe.

Posted by
1178 posts

Donald is 100% correct....sit and look all around you.....wish all the tourist would do that as well!!!