Please sign in to post.

Safety in Amsterdam & great places to stay

Hi, I keep reading that Amsterdam isn't safe now, even Frommer noted that anything not locked up would be stolen. I haven't been there in 20 years, can anyone let me know if this is true, and where are great B & B's to stay in a safe area. Is the Leidsplein still safe in the evening? Thxs Carol

Posted by
9109 posts

Amsterdam is just as safe as most any other city in Europe. There are pickpockets that congregate around Centraal Station and the red light district. As long as you take standard precautions like using a money belt, you won't have any problems.

Posted by
91 posts

Carol-

I was just in Amsterdam in early spring this year and I never once felt unsafe. I live in downtown Seattle and feel more unsafe here than I ever have there.

Leidsplein felt just as safe as anywhere else.

You'll be fine! Have a wonderful time! I'm going back in a few months...

Posted by
3551 posts

My friend and I visited Amsterdam area and decided to stay in nearby Haarlem due to the same reasons as you have posted. However after a daytrip into Amsterdam I decided that it was no worse than any other big city in USA, and same rules apply don't roam around late night. So I stayed at Hotel Keizershof for another 2 nights. more like a B&B with fab brfast just off main tram/bus line and walk to most sights and on the canal.I loved my stay there and would return again. I hope this eases your concerns. Janice