Please sign in to post.

Rothenburg, Germany

If we have an extra day to stay in Munich, can we make Rothenburg a day trip? (We go to Prague after Munich).

Posted by
7209 posts

www.viamichelin.com will give you driving directions and times to various European destinations. However, will you have done and seen all there is to do and see in Munich? Munich has lots to see and do. Sometimes people spend lots of their vacation time "day-tripping" to other destinations without first taking advantage of all the sights at hand.

Posted by
19159 posts

You didn't mention your means of travel. Via Michelin gives the time by car, Munich to Rothenburg, as 2:20. The best time by train is 2:29. So, by either means it's going to be a long day. If you don't already have a car, I wouldn't recommend renting one for the trip, because by the time you go through the renting process, it will take more time than the train.

As long as you don't mind a one night stand, a way to cut down on travel time would be to bring your luggage along (there are lockers at Rothenburg), then go for the night in Nürnberg. Or, spend the night in Rothenburg, then leave for Prague via Nürnberg (1h20m by train) in the morning. There are convenient, connections from Nürnberg to Prague.

Since the trains to Prague are regional, you can make the trip from Rothenburg to the border (Furth im Wald) with a Bayern-Ticket (€27 for up to five people) and use a ~€20 (pP) "Anschluss" ticket from the border to Prague.

Posted by
2931 posts

Hi Kristen,
You'd be driving at least five or six hours round trip. It cold be done, but not by someone like me. I'd suggest with an extra day, if you haven't seen King Ludwig's Palace Herrenchiemsee, you may enjoy seein it. It's not only a fantastic palace, the lake with it's Alps in the background is beautiful.

www.herren-chiemsee.de/index.htm

Paul

Posted by
71 posts

Kristin, a roudtrip from Munich to Rotheburg is doable, but I wouldn't do it if I were you. IMO, Rothenburg is over-rated. Furthermore, the highlight of my stop there last May was the nightwatchman's tour and it isn't practical, and perhaps not even possible, to include that in a day trip. If I were going to Rothenburg, I'd drive (via Romantic Road), despite the difficulty of getting around and parking within the walls. If I had an extra day to spend in the Munich area, I'd spend either in/around the city or go south. One of the castles that seems to be visited by fewer people due to its remoteness is Linderhof. If you have a car, I recommend it. If you don't, it might take too much time via train.