Please sign in to post.

Romantic Road Questions

If driving... How long will it take to drive down the Romantic road? Which places are must sees? Which unique places have nice quiet places to stay? anything else, we should know? Thanks. :)

Posted by
252 posts

The "Romantic Road" is actually an autobahn which isn't that attractive. But, the small towns along the Romatic Road are. The Romantic Road begins at Wurzburg and continues south to Fuessen. How long it takes to drive depends on how many stops you make and how long you stop. http://www.romanticroadgermany.com/ http://www.romanticroad.com/ My list of "must sees" would include Rothenburg ob der Tauber - Rothenburg is the quintessential Romantic Road town - a medieval walled town with timbered houses, the lovely St. Jacobs Church and the wellknown Kathy Wolfarht Christmas Store. Dinkelsbuhl - Another walled town with gabled and timbered houses and another former Free Imperial City Nördlingen - Built in a crater caused by an asteroid impact, the town of Nördlingen is famous for its watchtower and walled defence.

Posted by
373 posts

Thanks Betty, Yes, I'm aware that the "Road" is not the destination..but the villages along it. There are lots and we will end up in Fussen eventually but I wondered what ones along the first part Wurzburg and south. Thanks for your ideas on the village to see. Rothenburg was on my list already but other two sound interesting too. That's what I'm looking for.
Anyone else?

Posted by
12040 posts

One slight correction- the Romantic Road is a secondary route, not an Autobahn, although the A7 runs parallel to it for much of it's length. I think Dinkelsbühl is the most unique town along the road. I haven't found another town anywhere in Germany that looks quite like it. Rothenburg odT is nowhere near as unique as its reputation would suggest (apart from having the most trinket shops and tour buses), but it is worth seeing if you're in the area. My suggestion would be to visit the towns that interest you and just take the A7 on your way south.

Posted by
1986 posts

Check out the Romantic Road website, they also have a map describing the attractions of the villages/towns along the road. Use that to select some other spos that interest you. the first time i did the road we went through all the villages and around the farm yards- slower but much more interesting. Dinkelsbuhl and rothenberg (after the tour busses leave) are still our favorites.... although even in Rothenberg the tourists are clustered around the main square- lots to see just a few yards away without any tourists

Posted by
3696 posts

I have driven it a few times and agree with Tom. Dinkelsbuhl is my favorite... maybe because it is less touristy than Rothenberg, which I also did enjoy. I just liked the drive as it was a beautiful, relaxing drive through the countryside of Germany dotted with cute little towns. The first time I was there the fields were filled with the flourescent yellow flowers (I think it is canola) It was amazing. Another time in the winter the trees were covered in ice and it was foggy... so if I have to classify a road as romantic... this one was.

Posted by
373 posts

Thank all, Most of you were helpful... James, I think that is exactly why they changed the name to Canola. We will add Dinkelsbuhl to our stops. We are not big into the "touristy" things. We like seeing the buildings and walking around seeing unique things. Nature.
to be honest. I've been trying to decide if the Romantic Road or the Black Forest will be more our speed. We will have seen quaint German villages along the Rhine... Romantic road... Quaint German village overload? Still thinking. :)

Posted by
2898 posts

Hi Shelly, Seems like I'm in the minority here. Loved Rothenberg, thought Dinkelsbuehl was ok. Even with the tourists and tourist oriented shops, etc., it's our favorite on the "Romantic Road". For a quiet place to stay near Rothenberg, we loved the Gasthof zum Rappen, just 10 or 15 minutes from Rothenberg. Set among fields that go to the horizon. Another "highlight" of our stay was the Herrgottskirche in Creglingen, maybe 10 min. from the Gasthof zum Rappen. It has an amazing 500 yr. old wood carved alter by Tilman Riemenschneider, as does St. Jacobs in Rothenberg. http://www.gasthof-rappen.de http://www.herrgottskirche.de Paul

Posted by
797 posts

As Paul said, the Riemenschneider wood carvings in Creglingen and at St. Jacobs in Rothenburg are the finest examples of carved alters anywhere and are something well worth seeing. Rothenburg is very touristy during the day but about 5:00 the tourists get back on their buses and the town slowly goes back in time a few centuries. Walking the wall is nice but the best thing in Rothenburg is the Night Watchman's Tour ... it's not only very informative, it's a lot of fun. The old part of town is a great place to stay, it is very quiet at night and the Alt Frankische Eeinstube in Rick's book was really great.

Posted by
2898 posts

Hi again, I agree about the Nightwatchman tour in Rothenberg. Informative, witty and very entertaining. It's a "must" if in Rothenberg. Paul

Posted by
373 posts

Great ideas. I'll have to find the website and check it out. Those wood carvings sound interesting as well. We love those kinds of things. We'll have to pick out the favorites and go from there. Does anyone know the speed limit and how long we should plan on the drive alone? Thanks. :)

Posted by
12040 posts

"Does anyone know the speed limit and how long we should plan on the drive alone?" It varies. Within the town limits, it's mostly 50 km/hr. Outside of towns, the limit is anwhere from 50 to 100 km/hr.

Posted by
373 posts

Thank you all. That sounds like here on smaller highways.