Please sign in to post.

RHine river cruise

Hi everyone, I wil be traveling to Germany at the end of July and will be staying two nights in St. Goar at the Schloss Rheinfels hotel. I am trying to figure out the best plan for a Rhine cruise but a little confused as the best direction (? Which way the river flows) and where to start. We will be traveling by car. My initial plan so far is to take a cruise to Braubach and get off to see castle Marksburg. Is that right? Then take the train back to St. Goar. then drive to bacharach later in day and explore the town. Not sure if that's too convoluted but didn't want to miss anything important!

Posted by
80 posts

I would take the train to Bacharach early check out the townhope the river cruise from there to Marksburg castle-then train back to st. goar or train to Bacharach-river cruise back to st goardrive to marksburg Paul

Posted by
6663 posts

The most scenic part lies between Bingen and St. Goar. This cruise takes about 1.5 hours from Bingen to St. Goar (about 2 hours, 40 min. in the other direction because you're fighting the current.) So the smart thing to do is take the train from St. Goar to Bingen and cruise north back to St. Goar. The cruise fare from Bingen to St. Goar is 18.70€, but you'll pay only about 15€ if you show your train ticket at the dock for a 20% cruise discount. The train fare for St. Goar to Bingen is 5.70€. Alternatively, you can cruise past St. Goar to Boppard (2 hrs, 20 min. from Bingen, also scenic, maybe not quite as good though) and then return to St. Goar by train. Boppard's a nice town. From St. Goar, the quickest way to reach Braubach for Marksburg Castle is to use the St. Goar ferry (runs all day) and take the train from St. Goarshausen, on the other side of the river from St. Goar, to Braubach (train ride takes 20 minutes.) You CAN take the cruise boat from Bingen to Braubach, but that's nearly 3 hours, too much time for my liking.

Posted by
19109 posts

Leave the car parked, or better, go to the Rhein without one. Public transportation in that area is excellent. There are hourly trains on both sides of the Rhein and ferries across it. The most interesting part of the Rhein is Bacharach to St. Goar (that direction), but if you drive to the start, you'll have to use the boat or train to get back to where you parked your car.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks for all the advice! Lee, I have rented a car- we want flexibility traveling with a two year old and will be making side trips. My husband was stationed in Illesheim but when I could come over to visit never got to see Rhine . We are driving to our old stomping grounds after Rhine and will stay in Rothenberg but want to be able to drive to Bad Windsheim and maybe Sommerhausen or Wurzburg. Will also take day trip to Nuremberg. Love the German National museum. Then on to Garmisch and Munich. Car seems best with baby and all the accessories although I was usually terrified on the Autobahn! My question now is if we take the train to Bacharach or Bingen and sail back to St. Goar, is it still reasonable to drive to Marksburg later in day? Assuming early morning start

Posted by
4 posts

Russ, I retread your post and from what I got, it is possible to do cruise and then go to Marksburg in same day. How long is train from St. Goar to Bacharach or Bingen approximately? Thanks everyone for help!

Posted by
6663 posts

St. Goar to Bingen takes 23 minutes by local train. Lee's right that the area is easy to cover by train. But circumstances like a 2-year-old would send me to the rental office as well.

Posted by
4 posts

Another question if possible. I booked the Rheinfels castle hotel after a quick look and the beautiful views and the idea of staying at a castle seemed intriguing. But the reviews are really mixed. Thinking about changing hotels. Suggestions for other towns and/or hotels. St. Goar, Boppard?

Posted by
8956 posts

Have a look at Ober-Wesel which I find more attractive then St. Goar or Bacharach, which has many more side streets. to wander thru and more hotels.

Posted by
1717 posts

Hello Laura. If you will be at that part of the Rhine river, two nights, and you want to ride on a boat (ship) on the Rhine river, and go in the Marksburg castle, all in one day, a simple and pleasant way to do that is : Have your overnight accommodation at a hotel at Bacharach (a hotel that is not located very close to the railroad tracks). Bacharach is a visually charming little town. The next day, ride on a K - D ship on the Rhine river, from Bacharach to St. Goarshausen. That is one of the world's great boat rides. And that is the most scenic (best) part of the Rhine river. I think being on the ship a longer distance than that would be too much time on the ship for a 2 year old child. And I would not want to go on the ship a longer distance than that. Ride in a train from St. Goarshausen to Braubach. The Braubach train station is very small. And ride in the little trolley for tourists up the hill to the castle Marksburg. (I think the trolley does not operate on Sundays). Your tour guide in the castle will probably talk in the German language. If you and your husband do not know the German language, that is O.K. Return to St. Goarshausen, and ride on a ferry boat across the river to St. Goar. Ride in a train from St. Goar to Bacharach. (It is a quick train ride). If you will be at that part of the Rhine river, two nights, I think you will not have time for going in the castle Rheinfels. I was there. The castle Rheinfels (broken walls) was not appealing to me. And the town St. Goar is not special. Perhaps you could visit Ober Wessel the day you travel, in the car, to Bacharach. (?)