Please sign in to post.

Rhine boat trip

Hello! I'm going to be in Germany in July and was looking for a nice day trip on a boat tour along the river bwtween Koblenz and Bingen. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

Posted by
258 posts

I took the KD line, too, and liked it a lot. As Brad mentioned above, it's really flexible (as you can get off at different stops along the way), so it's just made very easy for the traveler. I got off in St. Goar to stroll around that pretty town and walk up to Berg Rhinefells (the remains of an ancient castle high up on the hill; great views of the Rhine below) and then got off for good in Bacarach, where I spent the night. And, like you, I began the Rhine boat tour in Koblenz (didn't spend any time there, but from where I had been in Germany immediately before that, it was the easiest place to pick the boat up). It all makes for a great, very enjoyable day. Enjoy Germany!

Posted by
12172 posts

KD lines is the big one. There are other smaller lines that also ferry people from town to town. I'd probably go with KD, the boats are bigger and offer more places to get a view. Depending on how much time you want to spend (see schedule) you can choose to go upstream - catch the boat in Koblenz and get off in Bingen, then take the train back to your starting point - or downstream - take the train from Koblenz to Bingam and catch the boat back. You can play with the time you want to spend on the boat by changing where you board and where you disembark. Here's the schedule: http://www.kdrhine.com/rhineschedule.htm You generally don't need a reservation. I have seen it full once, but that was because one of the boats broke down, so the next one was maxed out. I'd suggest buying your ticket a little ahead of time, just so you don't have to wait in line, then find a comfortable spot or walk around until the boat arrives.