Please sign in to post.

Reservations

We are going to Europe in early September. Do we need to make reservations for hotels and tours? How do we get the pass for the louv're before we leave? I have so many questions who should I consult?

Posted by
1003 posts

Personally, I would make your hotel reservations ASAP. I am going to cities throughout Europe in August and early Sept. and I made my reservations in early March and even then I encountered some places that were either booking or almost all booked up. Granted I was trying to book reasonably priced little places that get good reviews and have character, but still, I wouldn't wait long. This is a great place to consult for questions. If you have specific questions do a little search in the upper-right corner and see if your questions have already been answered - otherwise start a thread in the appropriate forum with specific questions and I'm sure lots of people will respond.I also really like www.tripadvisor.com for city-specific questions (especially hotels and restaurants but also sights) because there are a lot of locals who post there and really know their areas quite well. Good luck, planning is half the fun!

Posted by
427 posts

yes if you want to get a good room. google louvre for pass info.

Posted by
4555 posts

There is no pass specifically for the Louvre. There is what is known as the "Paris Museum Pass" which allows for entrance to many sites. See http://www.parismuseumpass.com/en/home.php for details on cost, access, etc. It's available from any participating site, Paris Tourism office, and at the tourist info offices in terminals 1 and 2 at CDG....no need to buy it before you go...in fact, many places will charge you extra for that service. They run for 2, 4, or 6 days at a cost of (roughly) 40, 60, and 80 dollars U-S., and allow you to bypass the ticket lines (most beneficial at Musee D'Orsay).

Posted by
160 posts

Just to be a dissenter - I rarely make reservations. However, I'm usually a solo traveler, and I like to wing it. I've changed routes on the spur of the moment, and walked/landed in various cities with no clue where I was going to sleep (except for the hotel listings in my guidebook). So far I haven't had to crash on the street, and I've seen plenty of tours/museums/sights w/out calling ahead.

Some folks like a more predictable vacation (you don't mention how many of "we" there are, if kids are involved, your age, how many countries/cities you're planning to visit, etc.). Nothing wrong with that.

Bottom line, if not having reservations stresses you out, then go for it. But that means you're locked into an itinerary vs. playing it by ear to see where the day takes you. Heck, maybe you can mix it up and make reservations for only part of the time...but as Rick would say, be open and flexible no matter what, cuz good things can take you by surprise. Good luck!