Please sign in to post.

Renting a car in Paris?

We will be staying in Paris this summer for a few days and then renting a car to drive around France before we return to Paris for a couple days. Should I rent a car in Paris and return it to the same location or rent a car outside of Paris and either return it to that location or to a different location as we will be coming back into Paris from a different direction? If so, where? We will be heading to Dordogne first.

Posted by
1358 posts

I would search the agencies to find one with an office in St Denis or LaMorlea or another suburb to save the airport fee.

You can always return your car to another location or to the airport to fly out without charge.

Posted by
711 posts

Are you driving to the south? We photograph in France and we always pick up our car at Orly. The fee we pay in very slight and Orly Is so far south and easy to get on the A6. A few things to remember... you want to rent your car from here.. cheaper, and you probably want to bring your own GPS ,also. They charge alot for a GPS with a car.If you are coming back to Paris, do not forget to set a marker on Orly or wherever you pick it up before you leave. That way when you return it will be easier.

Posted by
12040 posts

Ideally, it would be easier to pick up a rental car outside of the city, and hence avoid the worst of Parisian traffic. I've driven once briefly in Paris, which was necessary due to the unique nature of that particular itinerary. I consider it a very valuable experience- mainly, I have good reason to warn other travelers of doing the same!

As the other posters have noted, you only have to return the rental car to the same agency, not the same location, so select a pick-up and drop-off location that most suits your itinerary.

Posted by
239 posts

I have to agree with the other poster about driving in Paris...avoid it if possible! We rented a car at the airport and drove around France, which was very easy and relaxing, but when we arrived in Paris to return the car it was a totally different experience! We drove around the Arc de Triomphe and are luck to be alive to tell the tale! Parisian drivers are crazy and the scooters zooming in and out of traffic make it even worse!

Posted by
206 posts

Strongly recommend picking up the car outside of Paris. We once thought driving out of Paris on a Sunday morning would be a cinch--wrong. It took forever, and that was on the Peripherique. Try something like Versailles or another city just outside Paris and pickup/drop car and train in/out. Much easier.

Posted by
118 posts

We rented a car in Tours, just an hour train ride from Paris, and drove to the Dordogne from there. It was an easy enjoyable drive of about 4+ hours. You would also be close to the Loire valley and there are some beautiful sights there. A car is very handy in the Dordogne and easy driving. You could drive back to Tours and train to Paris or to Chartes and train from there. Have a great time and remember driving in any large unfamiliar city can be an exciting experience.

Posted by
24 posts

Thank you! I feel much better about driving in France now that I am equipped with all this good info.