Please sign in to post.

Regensburg accomodations

My husband, adult son and I are planning to stay in Regensburg for a few days this November. Unfortunately, the Rick Steves "Germany" book doesn't cover Regensburg. I've been looking online for an accomodation that is walking distance to the old town, that isn't too expensive. I found a place called "Schloss Weichs zu Regensburg" (Castle of Weichs) which seems interesting and reasonable. Can you give me any info on this place? (The reviews were not in English) Also any other suggestions would be appreciated. Seems like hotels are getting booked up already! Thanks much,
Penny

Posted by
11294 posts

If you want to read the non-English reviews, go to translate.google.com, and paste in the URL of the non-English page. It's supposed to auto-selekt the languages, but I find it works better if I choose them (in this case, German into English). It's far from exact, but usually good enough to get the job done. In 20054, I stayed at the Hotel am Peterstor. I don't remember details, except that for €45 a night with breakfast, it was fine. It was a short walk to the center. http://www.hotel-am-peterstor.de/

Posted by
144 posts

Can't help you with Schloss Weichs, but I can say i really like Hotel Orphee, on Unter Bachgasse. It's right in the heart of the historic area, and very convenient to all the highlights. Located in a converted old house, the hotel and restaurant (on the ground floor) are a bit unusual, yet quite charming. Each room is a bit different from the next, and the feeling in both the rooms and the restaurant is much more "Paris in the 30's" than typical Bavarian. If you decide on this option, send me a PM, and i can give you some more info. Have a great trip !

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks everyone,
The Orphee looks wonderful but was booked for our dates, and honestly it was way more than we wanted to spend anyway. The Peterstor was a great price but I'm not too sure on the noise issue on the week-ends! Thanks for the translater link, very helpful! I was able to translate the German reviews. I also found a nice informative review on tripadvisor. I think we may be staying in the Schloss!

Posted by
14520 posts

Hi, I also recommend Hotel am Peterstor on Fröhlich-Türken Straße, located a few minutes straight up from the train station. In 1992 I stayed at that site in a hotel under a different name...Weisse Lilie, very satisfactory. Price (EZ) and location are great.

Posted by
4 posts

Laura and Micheal,
I just found that there is a "Petite" hotel Orphee wich is lower in price. I have emailed the hotel to see if we can add an extra bed in a double room. It looks like a good choice. If we end up having to get two rooms though, then we'll stick with the Castle and just have to walk a little to the old town. I checked out the other suggestions, but there seemed to be too much trouble with noise from the reviews. Thanks, everyone.

Posted by
4 posts

Just got the reply from the Petite Orphee. The best they can do for me is 411 euro for the 3 nights verses 255 euro for the castle of Weichs which has two bedrooms and a kitchen! And parking within the castle sqaure is only 5 euro a day. It's a few minutes walk to the old town along the river, which is okay for us.