Please sign in to post.

Regensburg

Planning a day trip to Regensburg in September. I am wondering if it is possible to see the following in one day?

Weltenberg Monastery
Thurn and Taxis
Dom St. Peter

Anything else worth seeing?

Thanks

Posted by
417 posts

We did Regensburg last year. It is a very nice city, but a day is enough. Actually, we were done with the town in a few hours.

I would give yourself a few hours at the monastery, there are some lovely walks in the area. Do you have a car? Otherwise, getting to the monastery could be difficult as it is about 30K from Regensburg.

If you have time, you could do a river cruise from Kelheim to the abbey and back. It is a very beautiful trip and worth your time. Passenger boat trips between Kelheim and Weltenburg run until Nov. 1 and resume March 21. A round-trip ticket costs 8.20 euros for adults, 6.50 euros for those up to age 16. Boat timetables, in English, are at www.personenschifffahrt-stadler.de

Posted by
590 posts

I joined a walking tour that was arranged through the TI. I was like the OP and agree that it could be done in half a day. I had enough time to have a relaxing lunch (great place by the river/bridge, oldest sausage kitchen around, great beer), tour on my own, and join the walking tour. Regensburg is beautiful and I recommend going there.

Posted by
190 posts

Thank you Mike,
that is exatly what we want to do is take a river cruise to the Monastery.

Is there train service to Kelheim?

Wendy