Please sign in to post.

rail passes

WE are traveling in Switzerland from Thurs to Sun and then heading to Germany on Sunday to meet with a tour. What type of pass would work best? WE have compared all the passes and are confused with the options. We are planning to visit the Shilthorn, so I know we might get a discount there with a flexipass.

Posted by
6898 posts

There are Swiss passes and cards and there is the Eurail Pass. The Eurail pass loses a lot of its value as you leave the Interlaken Ost train station and travel into the Lauterbrunnen Valley. You only get a 25% discount on the Jungfraubahn and the Schilthornbahn, which are private railways within the Swiss rail system. Since you are going to the Schilthorn (approx. $80 R/T from the valley floor) or the Jungfraujoch (approx. $180 R/T), you might look into the Swiss 1/2 fare card. It costs 110CHF and is good at all times for 30 days. You get 50% off on all Swiss transportation including the Schilthorn and the Jungfrau. It will also cover you to the German border.

Posted by
4 posts

I was thinking of the Swiss pass, but I wanted to buy my ticket to German now online, so I would not receive the discount to the German border correct?

Posted by
3126 posts

Not correct. You can buy your ticket to Germany online on the Swiss or German train site ( bahn.de) and there is an option to take into account your Swiss pass or half fare card in the pricing, even if you don't have the pass yet.