Please sign in to post.

Rail Passes

Hi everyone... been doing a little research on rail passes through Rick's site and RailEurope.

Does $1000 seem about right for a saver pass for two people over 10 days? We start our trip in Germany, will be there for 8 days (split btw Koblenz, Rothenburg, Munich) doing day trips. Then on to Salzburg for 2 days and wrap up in Prague for 5 days.

$1000 seems kinda high, but maybe this is correct, especially after the exchange rate.

Appreciate any insights!

Thanks!

Posted by
94 posts

I may just have to do that... a glass of wine may just be what I need to get through it. Just have to figure out what day trips we want to do from each "base" in Germany.

Posted by
19099 posts

If you actually want specific advice, you need to give us a specific itinerary.

For travel in Germany, there are many discount passes for travel on express trains. However, if you are going from say, Rothenburg to Munich, you could find that regional trains, with a €14 per person (2 people) fare, are far less expensive, and only slightly slower, than express trains.

Learn to use the German Rail website. Read my web page
on discount offers of the Bahn. I don't think you will find that a rail pass will pay.

Case in point, because Salzburg is considered a border station for the Bayern-Böhmen-Ticket, you can travel from Salzburg to Pizen for €33 for 1-5 people. Travel from Plzen to Prague is another €6,- pP with local tickets.

Posted by
94 posts

Hi Lee, I am familiar with the site, used it on a previous trip to Germany. Unless I am missing something, they don't show fares until 90 days prior to travel. You see some ??? below because we are trying to keep this somewhat fluid. I don't see any day trips being more than 1 hour train ride away and there are some castle along the Rhine that we want to make sure we see.

To sum up our itinerary
Sep 9 - arrive in Frankfurt, train to Koblenz
Sept 10 - day trip to Koln
Sept 11 - day trip ???
Sept 12 - train to Rothenburg
Sept 13 - day trip to Augsburg
Sept 14 - day trip to ???
Sept 15 - day to Munich
Sept 16 - day trip to ??? --- not Fussen, being there.
Sept 17 - train to Salzburg

From there we are in Salzburg for two days then on to Prague for 5 days and fly home from Prague.