Please sign in to post.

provence

been reading all the info about provence. we are planning a trip end of october. we like hill towns that have activity. we will have a car and we have 4 days of actual sightseeing. if we use st. remy as a base, is it far from luberon, nimes, pont du gard or arles? we like the idea of luberon for its markets and antiques. just need to know if st remy is close enough to all these places or if you have 4 days, is there another hub recommended?

Posted by
3696 posts

I love St. Remy and have stayed there a number of times and think it makes a great base. I have been to the other locations but do not recall exactly how far each was, but I did all of them as day trips. Arles is close, and I think it took the longest to get to Luberon, but I am a photographer, so we often make lots of stops and side trips. The market in St. Remy is Wed. and Sat. and is great.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks so much for your reply.curious, did you fly into nice and rent a car? If so, did you spend any time there? Merle

Posted by
1021 posts

Use viamichelin.com to get driving distances, recommended routes and estimated drive times.

Posted by
2023 posts

If you are interested in antiques Ile-sur-La Sorgue is not to be missed. It is not far from St Remy which we also thought a perfect place to stay-and market day there was great despite the Mistral winds.

Posted by
4132 posts

I can also vouch for St. Remy as a fine base from which to visit these sights with a car. It's not a "hub" but you don't need one, you have your own wheels and it is reasonably located. I would not fly into Nice for this unless of course (1) you get a great airfare or (2) you plan to see some of the Cote d'Azure. Otherwise fly into Marseilles, Lyon, or Charles deGaulle. Nice about 3 hours from Avignon by either car or rail.

Posted by
3696 posts

I have flown out of Nice, so I have stayed there. While it is a beautiful city, it is really big and very busy and not anywhere I would choose to stay if I could be elsewhere. I have enjoyed my time there on the evening before a flight, but I really prefer the villages and countryside. I did rent my car once in Nice, but have also rented in Avignon or Marsailles, depending on my flights.

Posted by
3 posts

Hi: We spent 5 nights in Avignon last month. It was the first time we rented a car in Europe and had no problems (we had a GPS and the road signs are good.) We stayed in Avignon because of the festival and restaurants. St. Remy is close to all towns you want to visit. The only town that disappointed me was Nimes. Instead consider Uzes which was my wife's favorite town and Les Beaux (which is the ultimate hill town) Have a great time.

Posted by
42 posts

Does anyone know of a good winery tour near St Remy? Also, any good tours of towns in this area or is the self guided tour the best way to see the towns around St Remy?
Thanks