Please sign in to post.

Provence

four of us want to spend three or four nights in the Provence region. We will be coming from Chamonix. We are looking for a small town as a base (already know about
Arles and Avignon), with day trips by car. At least one of us would also like a day on horseback and/or bicycling on flat terrain. Any suggestions?

Posted by
20 posts

We are planning a week in that area in May, and are NOT experts. But I can tell you what I have been told. Look for Gargas, in the Luberon as a base. That is what we are doing.

Posted by
234 posts

We spent a week in Provence this past Sept and stayed in St Remy de Provence. We used it as a base to visit Nimes, Arles, Pont du Gard, Orange, Isle de la Sorgue, and Avignon.

Posted by
2023 posts

We also based ourselves in St Remy and found it to be a perfect location. Both Arles and Avignon were larger than I expected and while worth visiting, not a good base. Finding a parking spot in Arles was a real challenge-drove around for an hour and nearly gave up searching. Did not care for Arles. We turned in our rental car in Avignon and it was easy to explore on foot. We took a train from there to Chamonix.

Posted by
3696 posts

I also think you might enjoy St. Remy. Its a perfect size town for me with lots of great shopping, wonderful restaurants and market, and also central to lots of the towns you want to see. I also did not like Arles. I stayed there once and it was too big... I was lost for an hour trying to find my hotel. I prefer smaller towns. I also know there are some horses very near to St. Remy as I went to a farm there and photographed some beautiful white horses. One of the people I was with made the connection, but it was very close to town. Also, there is a lot or horseback riding in the Carmague. Its a bit of a drive, but if you love horses that would be the perfect place to go to see the horses and the flamingos.

Posted by
9 posts

These are all good suggestions. Would not have thought about St. Remy, but it seems a great choice. Thanks to everyone.

Posted by
24 posts

We are also looking to stay in St. Remy in June of 2012. Does anyone have any hotel recommendations that can accomodate a family of 5 (2 adults and 3 kids ages 8-15). We prefer to be in town (or a short walk away). Thanks!

Posted by
711 posts

Isle-sur -la-Sorgue is nice, also. Great Sunday Market. Lots of antiques and easy to get to the villages of the Luberon and Cotes de Rhone.