Please sign in to post.

Provence

Any advise for small town accomodation in Provence. We are traveling mid September and have rented a car at the Avignon TGV.

Posted by
3551 posts

I enjoyed Arles, Isle sur la Sorgue and Rousillion. Ck Rick bks for accomadations to fit your budget.

Posted by
10344 posts

This link address your question in general, click around the site; and Rick's book Provence & the Riviera gives accommodation specifics

https://www.ricksteves.com/europe/france

I'd recommend that you make the investment in a book, a guidebook is a $25 investment in an operating manual for your $6,000 vacation. We're volunteers here and trying to save money for our next trip, while helping other travelers as much as we can.

Posted by
1315 posts

I loved Le Beffroi in Vaison la Romaine. Wonderful views, located in the medieval section.

Posted by
355 posts

We stayed in Isle sur le Sorgue in a small apartment. RS recommends it in his book. It is Le Pigionnier and is a one bed/bath that would accommodate 3 easily. It was very inexpensive and lovely. I wrote a review of it on the Slow Travel site.

Posted by
124 posts

Second vote for Vaison-la-Romaine and Le Belfroi - great location and fantastic market.

Posted by
53 posts

I was recently in Provence for 10 days and I don't think you could find a bad small town there anywhere. They were all charming. We stayed in a VRBO farmhouse (Mas) outside of Orange/Jonquieres and it was wonderful. Several of the towns others have mentioned we drove through or visited. I guess it depends on the atmosphere you want and what you'd like to see. Several towns have impressive Roman ruins, others have fantastic markets, others have wonderful scenery.

Posted by
53 posts

You didn't ask for suggestions on things to see but I can't stop myself. While we were in Arles, we want to a bullgame at the Roman Arena. This was not a bull fight, they do not kill the bull. But it was an amazing display by the participants as they pull a ribbon from the bull's horns. They have them at least once or twice a week. It was an easy drive from Jonquieres where we stayed.

Posted by
55 posts

I recommend Arles as a great homebase for Provence. Nimes, Avignon and the surrounding fields of Sunflowers, wine and Sun are just a few minutes drive away. Arles is a fantastic place to be. We traveled to Avignon, Nimes and Aix-in-Provence and were very happy with our choice to stay in Arles for a week.

Posted by
2 posts

Aix-en-Provence is fantastic! I would go there every year if I could. I found Arles to be a bit congested, but lovely. Les Baux is very beautiful and unusual. Lots of tourists in July, so you should be OK there in Sept. Enjoy!