Please sign in to post.

Prado Tickets

Hi I want to go to the Prado while we are in Madrid. Our time is tight so I'd like to book them in advance. Any suggestions? RicK Steves book says online is cheaper but when I looked it was 12, verses the 7 he wrote (2012) edition. Anyone recently bought tickets online? Am I doing something wrong?

Posted by
629 posts

The only thing you are doing wrong is worrying about getting in. Arrive when the Prado opens, pay and enter. We did that on 2 different days, no problem getting tickets and minimal line ups. Why buy tickets ahead of time? The only reason to reserve tickets is for any special exhibits. These are on display in a separate part of the building.

Posted by
12172 posts

We were there in April. We went during free admission the last two hours of the day. The line is long and they don't start issuing tickets exactly on time - plus they start emptying out the rooms prior to the 8 pm closing time - so you probably get an hour to 1 1/2 hours to look around (we did two days). I think it was 12 euros for normal times at the ticket window, but may have been 15- it definitely wasn't 7.

Posted by
9363 posts

Early in the day there is no line. I stayed right across the street at the Westin Palace Hotel and was there at a bit after opening time. No line for tickets, no line to get in.

Posted by
15 posts

I was just there last week. No line when we got there in the early afternoon. With the new wing they built a few years ago the whole ticketing process is much improved and more efficient.