Please sign in to post.

Portugal-Spain May 2012 advice

We are planning to fly into Lisbon, stay 3 nights with day trip to Sintra, Nazare 2 nights, Coimbra 1 night with late train to Salamanca 2 nights, 2 night Avila, 1 night Madrid, 2 nights Toledo, overnight train to Barcelona, 1 night then leave at end of next day. We are traveling by bus/train. Enjoy smaller cities more than large. Only have 2 week. We have never been to Spain/Portugal but have traveled extensively on our own through Italy. We would appreciate any advice/comments/suggestions.

Posted by
205 posts

There isn't that much to do in Toledo.I would condense the Madrid-Toledo segment. They're only about a 30 minute train ride apart. 3 nights in 1 place means wastes less time . You said you like smaller cities, but you can get a better local feel in Madrid if you stay away from the Sol area. Also, you could do a day trip to Avila from Madrid as well.

Posted by
687 posts

It's a pity to miss Granada - the Alhambra is for me the premier sight in Spain. Haven't been to Avila - could you switch that for Granada? Or take time from Madrid and Toledo - I really enjoyed Toledo, but I was there for a major festival.

Posted by
638 posts

I second what Lisa says about Toledo, you can make a day trip out of Madrid there, most people that do stay overnight enjoy the quietness, solitude it provides once the tourists leave for the day though, so one night would still be good.

Posted by
519 posts

Thank you for your advice! We will stay put in Madrid and day trip to Toledo. I thought we would hit Avila on the way to Madrid as we will becoming from Salamanca. Does that make sense? Would you recommend just going on to Madrid and back tracking for a day trip? I am still trying to figure out the train.

Posted by
629 posts

This is how I would spend your alloted time: 1 night in Salamanca, visit Avila en route to Madrid, 5 nights in Madrid with a day trip to Toledo and 2 nights in Barcelona. YOU could add another night to Barcelona from Madrid but I would spend it in Madrid. I've only rated the cities we've been to. Madrid & Barcelona are the key stops if your not going into the south of Spain. IMHO - I would rather spend most of my time in both of these cities since it is YOUR first time.