Please sign in to post.

Portugal

Will be in Portugal for about 2 1/2 weeks next June. We are planning a self drive trip from Lisbon, then to the East and North (Porto) and then returning to Lisbon. Any special things to do or must see that you can help us with. Our first trip to Portugal. Thanx.

Posted by
11294 posts

It would be helpful if you posted more specifics. Who is we? What are your interests? What are you planning to see already? Any budget constraints? Without any of that, I can say that while I found Rick Steves Portugal very useful, two of my favorite places were not in it (at least in 2002 when I went). One is Santarem and the other is Tomar. They are one hour and two hours from Lisbon, respectively. Santarem was just a lovely town, and the Igreja de Marvila had the most amazing azulejos I saw on the trip. The even more celebrated Igreja da Graça was nice too, but not as nice as the Marvila. Tomar, in addition to being the headquarters of the Knights Templar, had a fascinating museum of matchboxes. Of the more standard places besides Lisbon, I enjoyed Sintra and Coimbra, and didn't like Porto (although most do). Also, unless you enjoy driving in chaos, be sure not to try to drive in Lisbon itself. Even Rome driving didn't look as scary as Lisbon driving.

Posted by
3601 posts

I second Coimbra; and if you go, there's a wonderful Roman archaelogical site in the nearby town of Condeixa Nova. Also, there's a beautiful monastery at Batalha, which I'm remembering as being in the same vicinity. Obidos, a tiny town pretty close to Lisbon, is very charming.

Posted by
977 posts

We loved Porto, more than Lisbon. Take a day trip from Porto to the Duoro Valley, a World Heritage listed site. Well worth the effort.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks for the info. Will remember these places when planning our itinerary.