Please sign in to post.

Portugal

Hello.
I am thinking about going to Portugal. Is it any good?

Posted by
9084 posts

Rene, it would be beneficial for you to read Rick's guide book on Portugal to help answer that question. Since we know nothing about what you like to see and do when you travel it's impossible for most of us to respond to your query. Once you've looked at Rick's book and have specific questions please feel free to post them here.

Posted by
365 posts

Rene, I don't know if Portugal is any good but I've heard great things about Wales.

Hope this helps.

Posted by
842 posts

Rene,

We loved Portugal! We were there two years ago at XMass, and were wading in the water on the southern beaches. Probably the best bang for the euro nowadays.

Pick up a RS and Lonely Planet guidbook and do some reading.

We spent some time on the south coast, Lisbon and then drove North and spent time in the Porto area.

Rick's ideas are right on the money. Traveling is easy...the freeways are all new, and there is no traffic. Food is cheap and wonderful, the people are warm and helpful, and there are so many beautiful places to see, and a lot to keep anyone busy!

Posted by
172 posts

I went to Portugal for the first time last year and it was quickly placed on my favorite places list. You can see details of our trip and pictures at: http://gadtravel.blogspot.com
Then click on the Northern Spain and Portugal \ Barcelona – Lisbon link.

Posted by
3551 posts

I think it is a nice trip for some museums, a beach or two, neighborhoods (lisbon), night life (fado), douro river area. It has fewer must see sights then say France or Italy and plaes in comparison. But if you can get a good fare there from Texas consider it. Read RS guidebk first to decide.

Posted by
9 posts

Steve... any good recommendations where to stay in the Algarve? We are going to Portugal in May but trip starts in Porto and then we will go to the south via Lisbon. Everything is booked but the Algarve. Any tips? Thanks!

Rene... I think you would enjoy your trip to Portugal very much but do your homework first. Rick Steves' Portugal is a good start. You do not even need to buy the book, just go to your local library. Hope this helps.

Posted by
842 posts

Natalia.
Since we were going at the slow time of the year (Dec) we followed Rick Steve's advice and made Tavira our headquarters.

We rented a cheap "nothing" apt in a fantastic location....right next to the river in the quiet section of downtown Tavira. (We found our apt thru Homelidays.com, and used VRBO.com for the one in Lisbon)

We were close to the markets and restaurants, and yet we always had a place to park our car at night.

We found Taviara to be a good central location from which to do our day jaunts to other parts of the Algarve.

Posted by
17 posts

I spent about a week in Northern Portugal a couple years ago. I loved Braga and the riverfront in Porto was beautiful.