Please sign in to post.

Place to stay in Paris

Hi, i am travelling with my husband to paris for 3 days and nights and would like some advice on a nice place to stay.. we don't want luxury.. but somewhere central where we can base ourselves and get around all of the sites easily.. We want to see the moulin rouge etc.. we just need a clean, safe place where we can rest up and Breakfast Included would be great as my husband is a very big eater... thanks heaps

Posted by
590 posts

we stayed at the Hotel Sevigne (listed in Rick's book) and we were impressed by it. You have to pay for a breakfast, but judging from the cafes around the restaurant the breakfast was a good deal. They had an "american restaurant" next door that my husband ate at because after a few weeks of european breakfasts he missed omelettes and pancakes. Those portions were HUGE! and cheap!

The hotel was within walking distance from the Cathedral Notre Dame (10 min) and was in the Marias district. We were a stones throw away from the metro station as well. It was a great area that we felt safe walking around at night.

Posted by
10344 posts

Rick's Paris 2009 book has many listings for good value places to sleep in Paris. Use it to broaden your search, as you'll only get a few suggestions, here, relative to the large number of choices you have in Paris.

Posted by
85 posts

Last trip I stayed in 2 of RS recommended hotels. The Hotel Muguet was wonderful - near Eiffel Tower and Rue Cler - and quiet. Had their breakfast a couple times and it was good (had hard boiled eggs, muesili, yogurt, croissants, and other things), but was 10 euros. I also stayed in the Hotel Castex (Marais area), but did NOT like it. The area is noisy and busy. I much prefer the Rue Cler area.

For the trip coming up, I'm staying at the Hotel du Champ de Mars and I'll likely just get breakfast at a nearby cafe in the area. I like eggs for breakfast, but it's not too common in Europe. Somehow bread and coffee seems a bit lacking nutritionally (even if the croissants are so, so yummy), but it'll due for a couple weeks. I agree with the previous poster that it's good to get a hotel from Rick's book, but they don't all get the best reviews from those who stay there. Try checking Trip Advisor too for reviews. Hope this helps.

Posted by
359 posts

I'm with Lee for the Muguet. Beautifully renovated hotel, decent breakfast for a price (omelletes, I'm told), but we walked to Rue Cler for breakfast (3 minutes away and 2eggs, bacon and toast for about 6Euros). Have stayed many times in Paris on business but would never pay the businessman price while travelling as a tourist. Check their website for cost and be assured the pictures reflect reality. The Muguet folks do not want to become your friend but very efficient and businesslike. Mme. Pelletier will ensure your stay is pleasurable and just as you ordered.