Please sign in to post.

PARKING IN PARIS

Driving into Paris for 3 days next week (I know it's not the best idea, but we have to). Don't plan on driving during our stay. Can't find a reasonable hotel that offers parking, so does anyone have an alternative idea? Perhaps parking (safely) on the outskirts and train/cab in?

Posted by
8293 posts

Have you tried the Ibis hotels at a Defense? They all seem to have parking available and from La Defense you can take the metro into central Paris or Bus No. 73 which actually goes all the way to the Musée d'Orsay from La Defense.

Posted by
1064 posts

This may be impractical or too late to try, but, assuming this is a rental car, have you considered turning it in at an airport or elsewhere outside of Paris and renting another three days later? If you can do that, it would open up more lodging possibilities closer to the center of Paris and possibly save some money.

Posted by
2193 posts

You could return your car in the city center, save three days worth of rental charges, and rent another when you’re ready to leave Paris. I’ve rented from Hertz before, located in the Air France bus terminal at Esplanade des Invalides – 7 arrondissement. I believe there are other agencies co-located there, such as Europcar, etc. Otherwise, there are underground garages around the city – cost is +20 Euros for 24 hours. Street parking is very hard to find, and it’s only free at night and on Sunday.

Posted by
253 posts

Not enough info to go on here, Doug.

First off, blowing up the car prior to entering Paris is going to look like a missed opportunity sometime during the second day as you are still drving around Paris trying to ditch the car. I kid, but the point is, cars in big cities of Europe are best left to those who were either born to it or live there most of the time. GPS gets you there - skilled maneuvering gets you a ticket.

So if you can leave it at a train station outside Paris and take the RER into the city, I would do that. I would do that regardless.

Posted by
4555 posts

If you are keeping the car, Norma's suggestion of the Ibis at La Defense is an excellent one. It's probably the best hotel in Paris for those who need to keep their cars, since it's relatively easy to get to, it's cheap, it has parking, and it's very close to a Metro stop. It's certainly not the most scenic location in Paris....all office buildings or hotels, but it beats driving and parking in the center of Paris. It does get busy, because it's popular with businesspeople who come into town with their own cars. Check out their website at http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-0771-ibis-paris-la-defense-centre/index.shtml. To see it, go to maps.google.com and copy and past these coordinates (48.88794 2.25277). With satellite view and Street View, you'll be able to see the front of the hotel. They still seem to have rooms available for next week, at 64 Euro/night.

Posted by
8293 posts

What I always wish is that when someone asks for advice and some really good ideas are offered, that the OP will come back and tell us whether or not we have been helpful. It happens, but not very often.

Posted by
149 posts

Hi Doug, We've stayed at the Ibis at Place d'Italie and parked in the basement garage. We had a Renault Laguna and it was almost too big, but if you have a car the size of a Cleo or Golf it should be no problem. Place d'Italie is probably a more interesting location than La Defense. Be advised, parking in Paris is never cheap, and is a big pain. But I find driving in Paris is not a problem. Keep a good map handy and be prepared to pull over and stop often to read the map. Paris drivers (and European drivers in general) are good drivers, as opposed to California drivers (a state where one does not need to have any idea how to drive to obtain a driver's license).

Posted by
1 posts

When we drive to Paris, we park in a lot on the outskirts near a metro station. Google "parking paris" to find convenient locations. Make sure the garage opening hours work for your plans. Also plan to pay in coins!

Posted by
8293 posts

I surmise that the OP is already in Paris. He wrote on 16/07 that he would be in Paris "next week", so he's either already there or on his way. Probably no further need of advice.