Please sign in to post.

Paris Travel

Does anyone know how much a taxi would cost from Charles de Gaulle (Roissy) (Paris Airport) to a hotel in the 8th?

Also, any tips on good day tour companies, for day trips from Paris to the Normandy D-Day Beaches??
Thanks

Posted by
8293 posts

Depending on the time of day, a taxi from CDG would cost approx. 50 euro.

Posted by
2 posts

Is that for 2 people?
& Do u tip on top of that, or is it factored into the price?
Thanks so much

Posted by
8293 posts

The price will be on the meter as it is in Canada and it is for the journey, not per person. You can give the driver a few euro as a tip.

Posted by
253 posts

I am guessing there is a reason you do not want to take the RER into Paris and then the Metro to your hotel? It would cost considerably less and probably be quicker.

Posted by
32214 posts

Giglette,

You could also take one of the numerous Paris Airport Shuttles (there's another post here on the same topic, but I' haven't been able to find it yet, but will provide a link when I do).

The easiest method is the RER "B" from CDG to Gare du Nord or one of the other stations, and then transfer to the Metro. It works well and there's no issues with "traffic".

You might want to check This Website for details on some of the transportation options, including the Roissy & Air France Buses.

Cheers!

Posted by
12040 posts

I'm going to take a guess, but... I don't think there are any day tours from Paris to the Normandy beaches. The distance is too far and the beaches occupy too large of a geographic area to cover via day trip. Your best option without a rental car for visiting is to stay the night in the area and take one of locally organized bus tours.

Posted by
32214 posts

Giglette,

Regarding "day trips from Paris to the Normandy D-Day Beaches", there is one available that I know of, but it's NOT cheap!

If you have a large budget (€167), you might have a look at en.parisvision.com/18,48-day-trip-normandy-landing-beaches.htm for the details. They will take care of all transportation and a VERY basic look at the beaches. It will probably be a LONG day!

If you have the time, the best method would be to spend two nights in Bayeux and take a BattleBus tour (they require tour members to stay in Bayeux the night prior to the tour).

Cheers!

Posted by
11507 posts

Both Cityrama and ParisVisions offer big bus daytrips to the D Day beaches and St Michel.

They are expensive( over 150 euros aprox.) and they are LONG days,, but since you are not driving you can sleep on the bus on way back anyways.

They are not the ideal way to do the area, BUT, if a person truly only has a day,, then it will get them there and back in reasonalbe ease and comfort.

Both companies are well known and reputable. Just google either one,.

Posted by
5 posts

We took a day trip to the Normandy beaches with Cityrama in 2008. We were in the back of the bus and the tourguide had a heavy accent and was hard to hear. It was a very long day, if I had to do again I would take 2-3 days, rent a car and see everything. There is just too much to see in a daytrip from Paris.

Posted by
1 posts

We are about to go on our first Paris trip and have scheduled a van with Paris Services. RS recommended them for the late pickup at the airport so I asked if they would be able to provide a D-day tour. It is very expensive 600 euro so

i am hopeful. Will report back. This is our first trip to Paris and seeing these beaches is very important to my husband for family reasons. It is expensive compared to what I see here but that is the problem with being a first time visitor.

RS Paris book does not speak to this would be helpful if he had. thanks

Posted by
554 posts

You might want to consider two days in Normandy. Much to see there, both at the beaches (the cemetery is at Omaha) and the WWII Museum in Caen, which is also a fascinating city. It's easy to get around by car there you will want to take your time and let it soak in. There are also other sights in the area that have nothing to do with the war, i.e. the port at LeHarve and wineries as well. If you try to make it a day trip I think you'll get there and regret it.

Posted by
8293 posts

Jim, I surmise that the OP is Canadian and the cemetery at Omaha is American.

Posted by
32214 posts

Giglette,

Norma raises a good point. Which D-Day sights are you most interested in seeing? If your primary focus is to see the areas where Canadians fought, you likely won't get that with any of the one-day Paris "big bus" tours.

You'd need to spend at least one night in Bayeux and take the BattleBus Canadian Juno Tour tour. This is a very interesting tour and covers locations such as Juno Beach, Authie, Le Mesnil-Patry and especially the l'Abbaye d'Ardenne where Canadian troops encountered units of the fanatical 12th SS Panzer Division. I found this site especially to be very moving, given the events which took place there.

The Canadian Cemetery at Beny-sur-Mer (despite the name, it's actually about 10 miles inland) is smaller than the American Cemetery above Omaha Beach, but no less emotional.

Posted by
11507 posts

Barb,, are you paying 600 euros for a daytrip for two people.. that is crazy expensive.. you could have travelled to Normandy,, and stayed a few nights for that much money.. YIKES

Can't you cancel it( don't tell me you paid in advance?)