Please sign in to post.

Paris tours

Has anyone used a tour guide in Paris? (Other than Ricks) People I am travelling with want to go on a tour orginized by Isango.com ? Their advertised prices are a lot lower than the final price on their website .

Posted by
8938 posts

Are they listed on Trip Advisor? What do the reviews say? I just checked their website, and this is a tour consolidator selling tours for other people. Similar to Viator, Gidsy, Get Your Guide, or Vayable. All of the tours they are offering, you should be able to find on your own, and cheaper. These tour consolidators charge a commission fee from the tour companies themselves, so the tour is going to cost more than if you found your own tour. I have never heard of this company though. There are tons of tours to choose from in Paris. You should be able to find one that matches your budget and schedule.

Posted by
2081 posts

hi, i used the meetingthefrench.com. they try to set you up with a someone that has the same interests as you post in the questioner. also, they run off of donations. I took one about "Passages". The guide was really knowledgeable and a great host. happy trails.

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks guys . Thats helpful . I'll do my research .

Posted by
6486 posts

Paris Walks (http://www.paris-walks.com/) is a long-established company that does great guided walks in various parts of Paris, in English. Get their schedule and just show up at the time and place, no need to reserve.

Posted by
25 posts

Paris Walks seems quite good. I'll be taking their tour of the Marais next week. Really looking forward to it. Recommended in RS France guidebook. Some of these you have to prepay for, but those are just the specialty or private tours.

Posted by
10203 posts

I had a walking tour of the Marais through Paris Greeters. It operates the same way as the outfit Ray mentions, so it may be the same thing. Our volunteer guide took us on a 4 hour tour of the area where he grew up. It was an outstanding experience. The guides are not allowed to accept tips, so we took ours out for a drink as a thank you.

Posted by
25 posts

That was a nice gesture Andrea. I'm sure you had a good time after too. My tour lasts about two hours.

Posted by
1335 posts

I, too, would like to praise Paris-Walks. They are fabulous, nicely priced, and you have the opportunity to learn a lot.

Posted by
10203 posts

What I really liked about our Paris Greeters tour was that it was just for us, tailored to our interests. Prior to the day we did the tour we had gone to the Shoah (Holocaust) Museum. The museum is free and I highly recommend it. They do one English tour a month, which happened to be the day we were there. I asked our Marais guide some questions related to what I had learned at the museum. He then changed his focus to the Marais and how it was affected related to WWII. The Shoah Museum is still worth going to even if you can't be there for the English tour. I had gone on a prior trip, but I was so happy I went another time to hear the English speaking guide.

Posted by
11507 posts

Tom what tour is your group interested in?

Posted by
7 posts

The tour we are looking at is , dinner at Eiffel Tower followed by a cruise on the Seine and then a show at Moulin Rouge . A 7 hour evening for approx. $330 . Too good to be true ?

Posted by
1174 posts

Another vote for Paris Greeters, marvelous tour of the guides neighborhood in the Marais.

Posted by
11507 posts

Tom sorry, we run in different circles, I wouldn't pay half that for a tour. I have visited the Eiffel Tour, 14 euros, done a cruise 11-13 euros, and years ago did Moulin Rouge( it was pricey then, can't recall but it was not my cuppa tea and I don't recommend it) . I would do all those things myself but if you are happy with that plan and don't begrudge the money they just do it, remember the holiday is yours not ours so you must do what you wish.

Posted by
262 posts

Tom,
All of us have different vacation budgets. Some things that are important to us are not important someone else and vice versa. If you can afford the $330 and you choose not to do it on your own, go for it. You will decide if it was worth it. I am willing to spend more on certain things that others would not consider" their cup of tea." I like a bargain as do most, but AM willing to spend where others may not, especially if I have never been to a place before. Maybe you are too! Whatever you decide, have a great vacation. Happy Travels!

Posted by
3 posts

I was tavelling with my family of twenty-one people in Spain. I booked a tour of The Alhambra in Granada for all of us and paid the $1350 dollars to Isango in advance. I requested May 14th and recieved vouchers via email stating that the tour was booked for that day at 9:45. We were all staying in a large villa about 1.5 hours drive from Granada. We all got up early and drove in six cars to Alhambra with vouchers in hand. Upon arrival I was told that we were booked for the next day and we would have to return. I informed them that we had traveled 1.5 hours and could not return the next day due to other plans. I was told that they sent me an email changing the date the previous month. I did not receive that email. I informed them that it is unacceptable to make a change via email without verifying that I received it before changing plans for such a large group of travellers. We were sent away and never did get into Alhambra. I have been informed that I will not be getting any refund. There have been no apologies from them despite the fact that they ruined my family's plans for a full day of our precious time abroad and they kept the $1350.00. Their position is that it's too bad I missed the email. I will be contacting my lawyer this week. Do not do any business with these incompetent thieves!

Posted by
7 posts

Yikes . John I have already paid Isango .Oh God . The tour is scheduled for June 3rd in Paris . I will post the end results .
Im so sorry that you had a horrible time with them .

Posted by
32700 posts

I've never used them but the complaint was concerning so I've had a look at the isango website for the Alhambra. They must have changed things now because it says now that that the tickets have to be collected 24 hours before the tour and that they tell you if you are on the morning or afternoon tour then. That seems like an awful lot of trouble, but it may be more organized than when you suffered. $64 each sounds like a lot of money.

Posted by
132 posts

We have used Paris Vision Tours for several excursions and have not been disappointed.

Posted by
120 posts

I have also used Paris Vision tours. I took their Minivan tour to Monet's home two years ago. I really liked having such a small group. I was traveling alone and was on the tour with three other women traveling alone. If you have a few in your group, you might be the only ones on the tour. I don't remember the price, but it was very reasonable. The driver picked us up at each hotel and dropped us off at our hotels after the tour. He told lots of good information on the way there and when we arrived, told us to meet back at the van in 2 1/2 hours. That was just perfect. The other ladies spent most of the time in the museum and gift shop and i got to spend all the time i wanted in Monet's garden and home. I plan to do a Versailles tour with them this summer. They have several options for Versailles. I like the sound of the one where the driver gives you a guided tour through the buildings and then you get two hours to roam the grounds on your own. This company also does a Paris Lights tour in the evening - again pick up and drop off at hotel. I want to try that this trip too. Don't miss a dinner cruise if you haven't done that.

Posted by
249 posts

Paris Greeters-free, but they'll take donations-very nice