Please sign in to post.

Paris to Normandy

I have a global month train pass, I am flying into Paris and I want to spend time in Normandy( at least 1-2 nights), Can I take a train out to normandy? I've heard the area is difficult to explore without a car- do I have to have a car?(being 23 they tack on a extra fees when your under 25 and renting a car) are their taxi's in the area I could get from town to town? Or once I get their by train can I book a tour in Bayeux, or Caen? I will be there in May. Thanks for your help.

Posted by
8963 posts

Bayeux is really pretty and I think you will like it a lot. There are so many beautiful B&B's there too and at quite reasonable prices. We stayed at the Hotel de St. Croix and found it to be everything that one would want in a French B&B.
http://www.hotel-de-sainte-croix.com/english/html/acces.html

The town really lends itself to simply walking around town, looking at the houses, stores, etc. Beautiful cathedral and the Bayeux tapestry is fantastic. I quite enjoyed the museum located with the tapestry too. Spent a couple hours there.

Posted by
208 posts

Easy to get a train to Caen but I would suggest staying in Bayeux, also easily accessible by train. Bayeux has some great hotels and B&B's. Also look at Battlebus Tours for the best tours of all of Normandy. Everyone on this site highly recommends Battlebus. They have several tours to choose from but require that you be staying in the Bayeux area as that is where each tour departs from. I will be there in Sept and am staying @ Logis les Remparts which is a very nice B&B's. Also I will not be renting a car as it is not needed by staying in Bayeux and using a tour group. I have train directions I can send you from CDG if you decide on this.

Posted by
8963 posts

Bayern is the German word for Bavaria. I don't think that is what you meant is it? Were you thinking about Bayeux which is in Normandy?

There are quite a lot of posts on here about going to Bayeux from Paris with the train, taking tours there, etc. Have you looked at any of those yet? Why not check a few of those posts out and then come back to have us fill in the spaces and answer your questions.

Posted by
10344 posts

You can train to Bayeux and connect with a Battlebus tour of the D-Day Beaches. To do that you have to train in the day before the tour. You can also get to Caen by train. But the smaller towns/villages are not served, or not served by frequent, rail service.Here's a map showing the extent of the rail routes in Normandy: Map of French Train Systems

Posted by
118 posts

Thanks. I knew bayern was worng, I fixed it to bayeux. I have checked the other normandy posts and some say you need a car, thats why I wanted to know if you really do need one. I will check on battlebus tours and thanks for the rail map. I'm going to be an expert Europe traveler like all of you some day!

Posted by
10344 posts

Lindsay: Glad we could help. The advantage, in your situation, of training to Bayeux and connecting with a tour is that you don't have to have a car.Zoom in on the Normandy area on the rail map and it will show you where you can get by train and where you can't. There's also a bus system, if you wanted to explore smaller places not on the rail system. However, to explore Normandy where the trains don't go, a rental car gives you the most flexibility for going places not served by trains and buses or tours. If you wanted to do the D-Day beaches on your own, but not with a tour, you would need a car--so that may not be a good choice for you, doing the D-Day beaches on your own, I mean.