Please sign in to post.

paris then driving to italy sept 2011

Will be arriving in Paris this Sept, two couples mid 50's, first any feedback on staying in Rue Cler or Latin Quartet . Then is the drive to Italy mainly on the highway..and how long would it take..any nice stopoff would be appreciated (suggestions). I also wonder if you hire the car in Paris there must be a big fee to leave in Italy....maybe train would be better Paris will be 4 full days and Italy will be two weeks. Also, is it still warm in both areas in early Sept.
Many Thanks..

Posted by
23562 posts

You need to check two issues very carefully One will the rental allow the car to be driven in Italy. Some rental companies don't like Italy. Second, the drop off fee will be close to the rental fee. Third, do you really need a car. It probably would be cheaper and smarter to rent the car in Paris if you really need it train to somewhere in Italy, maybe Milan, and pickup a car there. It will be warm and could be hot.

Posted by
687 posts

I feel sure the train would be better, unless you already know there is somewhere you want to visit on the way that you can only reach by car. If you really want to drive see http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/Routes for route info. Besides the drop off fee you need to consider the very high cost of fuel in Europe. (Michelin says the shortest route from Paris to Milan, via Switzerland, is mostly motorways, 530 miles, and costs $254 for tolls and fuel.)

Posted by
32325 posts

Mice, As the others have mentioned, renting a car in France and dropping in Italy will probably have huge drop-off fees. One other point to mention regarding driving in Italy, is that each driver will require the compulsory International Driver's Permit for Italy. There are also some other potential issues with "limited traffic zones" and expensive tickets. Using the trains will be a far quicker and more efficient travel method. To answer your other questions, I've found Italy to be quite warm and pleasant in September, but of course there are never any guarantees with the weather. I prefer the Rue Cler area in Paris, but that's mostly a matter of personal preference. Others here like the Latin Quarter. If you have access to the Paris or France Guidebooks, there's good information there on both areas. Happy travels!

Posted by
4 posts

Hi Frank , Cathy and Ken... I thank you all so much for that information. Its something to really think about. I take on board all that is said and will discuss it with the others.
Many thanks again

Posted by
44 posts

Mice, I would encourage you to consider leasing a car if you will use it for 17 days or more. You can lease a brand new Peugeot from www.kemwel.com. My family has done this before and it was very convenient and enjoyable. Having a car gives you more freedom to go at your own pace and to explore out of the way places en route. You can pick it up in France and drop it off in Italy with an extra drop off fee in either Milan or Rome. We will be picking up our car in June at Orly airport and dropping it off in Milan. This will allow us to go to the Loire Valley, French Alps, Swiss Alps and Zurich on the way to Italy. It is wonderful to have a car in Italy so you can explore small towns that aren't in the guidebooks.
Check it out on-line and see if this option appeals to you!

Posted by
10555 posts

I have leased a car through Auto Europe and it can be a good option, although as mentioned you will pay extra to drop it off in Italy. That said, I would NOT recommend having a car in Paris. Do you only want to get a car in Paris in order to drive to Italy? Was there somewhere in France you specifically wanted to go? Where are you going in Italy? Will you really need a car there? I found the trains were very easy to use in Italy, and we only rented a car while we were in Tuscany. If you really want a car in Italy you might consider flying to Italy from Paris, or take the train to Italy. Pick up your car there. I have stayed in both the Rue Cler area and in the Latin Quarter. Personally I prefer the Latin Quarter as being more lively and closer to most of the places I want to go. I was in Italy for three weeks last September and I found the weather to vary from warm to a little cooler, depending on where we were and what the weather conditions were. We had some rain. I would expect a variety of conditions.

Posted by
687 posts

As Andrea says, unless there's something you particularly want to see on the way to Italy a car is an unnecessary expense. Missed your where to stay question. I've stayed in the Rue Cler area, but found it too full of other tourists (many with Rick's book). If you want to meet other Americans I suppose it's a good choice. These days I stay in the Marais. It should still be warm. Historical weather data here: http://www.wunderground.com - although it's getting more unpredictable.

Posted by
976 posts

I too like the Latin Quarter with lots of restaurants, wellpriced hotels, and easy metro access. The RER has direct access to the Luxembourg Gardens stop from CharlesDeGaulle airport- very easy way to get there. You don't mention where in Italy youa re going. There is so much to see in France that you could easily spend days in transit. I like the south of France, towns near Antibes is very relaxing. Others like Provence and would suggest a couple of days there en route. You could use www.autoeurope.com to price the options, and could investigate picking up the car in Paris and dropping it off at a railway station near the Italian border.Then you could train to your destination in Italy.
Of course, if you want the car for the Italian part of the trip, would be helpful to know your itinerary and from which airport you're flying home.

Posted by
32325 posts

Mice, To elaborate on my previous reply, here are my usual comments on driving in Italy.... One important point to note is that for driving in Italy, each driver must have the compulsory International Driver's Permit, which is used in conjunction with your home D.L. These are valid for one year, and easily obtained at any AAA office (two Passport-sized photos required, which in some case is offered at the issuing office). Failure to produce an IDP if requested can result in fines on the spot! Have a look at This Website for more detailed information. You may also want to have a look at some of the other posts here concerning the dreaded Zona Traffico Limitato areas that are becoming increasingly prevalent in many Italian towns & cities ( especially Florence!). EACH PASS through one of the automated Cameras will result in a €100+ ticket! A GPS along with a good Map would also be a good idea. Be sure to also give some thought to the question of CDW. If you accept the CDW offered by the rental firm, it will be expensive but will provide "peace of mind". Some "premium" credit cards provide rental vehicle insurance, however I've found this to be somewhat complicated so I just accept that offered by the rental firm. Check the Car Rental section in Europe Through The Back Door for further information. Cheers!