Please sign in to post.

Paris Museum Pass

There are only 6 sites we want to see,
the Louvre, Notre Dame, St. Chapelle, Orsey Museum & Arc de Triomphe & Verseilles that are covered by the Museum pass- the other one is the Eiffel Tower which you have to pay for seperately. In checking the Paris Museum site it will cost $89.00 Euros for these 6 sites. Does anyone know how much it would cost individually so I can assess whether the pass is viable for just these 6 sites? Any help would be appreciated.

Posted by
206 posts

Look at this page from the Paris pass web site. I think it covers most everything you mentioned. A two day pass is 32 Euro; I'm not sure how you got passes to add up to 89 Euro. I don't know how many you need, but children 18 and under don't need a pass if they are with an adult with a pass. The pass also gives you the skip the line advantage in most places. We found that a real plus during the summer when sites are crowded. We are going back to Paris this summer and are considering two day passes for museums right in Paris, and then the separate pass that covers Versailles entrance plus transportation.

http://www.parismuseumpass.com/en/pass_tarif.php

Posted by
11507 posts

All the sites you mention have websites, you could just go and look at them. I too am not sure how you have calculated costs.
The thing about the MP,, is it's attraction should not be noted as primarily a cost saver,, since , if you are like me, and will happily spend 4 or 5 hours at the Louvre,, you will likely not break even using pass only once or twice a day.

The MP's big plus is it saves you time in lines by affording you line skipping privlidges. Not at all sites though, for instance, at the Towers of Notre Dame you do not get to skip line.
This bonus is not always important though, I found I only waited in a few short lines last July, we lucked out a lot. I do think it is great to have a pass for Versailles though, we had one, but the type we had is not available this year,, so I may consider getting the MP just to line skip at Versailles, we'll see.

Posted by
204 posts

Thanks Pat & Kathy- I have no idea what site I was on do they mail these passes to you and how far ahead should I order. This is all preliminary research as we are not going til May 2010.

Posted by
206 posts

In 2007 I ordered the Passes online and had them mailed to me at home. They came quite quickly (2 weeks, maybe?) and it was of course convenient to have them ahead of time. You can purchase the passes many places in Paris, so I'm not sure I will spend the money to have them sent this time. Still deciding. That same website has directions for ordering online, and a list of places where the pass can be purchased.

Posted by
1806 posts

It is absolutely not worth paying the extra 13 Euros to have the Museum Pass shipped to your home prior to your trip. While they sell the passes at each of the sights you want to see, there are other places (like the airport) where you can get the pass without waiting in a big line. Or pick one of the smaller sights where they don't normally have long lines (like the Rodin or Cluny Museum) and buy the pass there - you don't have to go inside if you have no interest.

Just remember you have to use the pass for consecutive days and there are certain days of the week when museums or sights can be closed. Be sure to factor those closed days into your plans before you activate your pass.

Posted by
265 posts

Definitely worth it if your time is limited and you can use it in consecutive days. We got ours at the tourist info center at Metro stop "Pyramides", over by the opera house. If you get to any tourist info, try to get a city bus route map. The metro is quick, but the bus gives you great views of the city (specially at night). And you will still have to do the long line at the Eiffel Tower to get in.

http://en.parisinfo.com/

Posted by
12040 posts

Don't try to visit Versailles on the days your pass is valid. As others have mentioned, the biggest value of the pass is the ability to by-pass the long ticket queues at the bigger museums and popular monuments, and therefore squeeze in more sites on a tight itinerary. Because Versailles occupies the better part of a daytrip, you probably won't save much time by skipping the lines here.

Also, although the Cathedral of Notre Dame is free, if you want to climb the tower, the Museum Pass does not allow you to skip the entrance queue.

Posted by
13 posts

Okay, here's some useful info as well:

The Louvre offers free admission for the following:
1) Visitors under 18 years old
2) Disabled visitors and their guests or helpers
3) Teachers of art, art history, and the applied arts (valid proof required)
4) All visitors on the first Sunday of each month and on July 14th.

Discounted rates are offered to visitors between ages 18 - 25.

(I found this on the Louvre.fr website.)

The Paris Museum Pass covers admission into all the sites you suggested. You can buy the Paris Museum Pass direct at their website: http://www.parismuseumpass.com/en/home.php

Fees are (in Euros):

30: 2-day Pass
45: 4-day Pass
60: 6-day Pass

The cost of admission for these individually are:
Arc de Triomphe: 9,00
Louvre: 9,00
Notre-Dame: 8,00
D'Orsay: 8,00
Sainte Chapelle: 8,00
Versailles: 15,00

I hope this helps.

Posted by
13 posts

By the way, based on the info above, regardless of how many days it takes you to cover these 6 sites, the admission price to visit the 6, collectively, for one adult person is 57,00. That said, it doesn't make sense to buy the museum pass for 89,00 EXCEPT for the benefit of "bypassing the line".

~ Kelly

Posted by
264 posts

L'Arc - € 9, Louvre - € 9, Bypassing the lines - Priceless!

Posted by
125 posts

I too am going to Paris this summer with my daughter and the MP is a must -- it's about break even in terms of cost but the opportunity to skip by the lines is worth it imo. I do have a question regarding Pat in St. Louis' reply... My daughter is 18. All of the museum websites say free for under 18, in Pat's response she says it's free for 18 and under. Anyone know which is correct? I've also heard that if you have a MP and are travelling with a child that at some museums or monuments you have to get in the normal line and get a special child's ticket (even though it's free) rather than just have the child go through the MP line with you. Anyone know if this is true? And last thing, if being 18 does indeed get her into these places for free, what does she need to show for proof of age -- passport or special student ID?

Posted by
11507 posts

I have been to Arc De Triomphe three or four times in last 5 years, never had to wait more then 10 mnutes.

Same or better with Louvre,, I always use the underground shopping mall entrance, buy my tickets from the machines, and walk right in to the security line. Only those who use the Pyramid entrance will wait more then 10 minutes or so ..

Posted by
119 posts

in answer to proof of age for your daughter- last year when my daughter was 14 she was asked for her passport to verify her age at the arche de... she was with me and my paris museum pass- but they must have thought she looked older

Posted by
149 posts

In response to the age question... I just returned from a trip to Paris with a group of students. Those under 18 needed to show picture ID for free entry. Those who are 18 needed to purchase a ticket.