Please sign in to post.

Paris Museum pass?

I'm thinking of getting the pass for 30euro for my trip sep 1. I already went to the louvre and orsay, but was frustrated last visit because it would have been nice to see some smaller things like the pantheon, but I didn't have the money. I'd like to go to a few of the museums like pompadeau(?) and cluny to just stay an hour or so and possibly versailles. I didn't go to versailles last time because I've heard it's a zoo and I can't deal with huge throngs of tourists.Any ideas or tips on this? Is it worth it?

Posted by
251 posts

We loved using our museum pass. We skipped to head of the line at the Conciegerie, Saint Chapelle, the Louvre, Musee d'Orangerie, Musse D'Orsay and the Musee Rodin. It does save time and money.
Hope you have a great trip.

Posted by
37 posts

We loved having our Museum pass. You can use it get into the Louvre thru the Richelieu group entrance, skipping the ticket and the security line. We went to the Orangerie to see the huge Monet's. We skipped the line at the Arc de Triomphe to climb to the top. We also went to the Cluny and really enjoyed it. My kids loved see all kinds of things you never see in other museums. We went to the Louvre twice, because we could. 2 half day trips was better than 1 long day. We also used it at Versailles. Yes, the crowds were spectacular, but so was the house and gardens. We were there on a weekend (to see the fountains), it's less crowded during the week. Get the pass, it's really worth it.

Posted by
11507 posts

Well,, have you added up which sites you plan to see in a day?? You seem to be looking at it as a money saving measure so to save money you have to see at least 3 sites a day... now, if you include Versailles that cuts it down considerably ,, since I think that alone is about 20 euros.. so in that case MP is good deal for two days. Of course the line skipping at Versailles is a big plus too!

Posted by
47 posts

Well, I don't intend on going back to the louvre; I wasn't a big fan. I would like to go to L'Orangerie, Pompideau, Cluny, Pantheon and Versailles.

Posted by
15579 posts

Well, I don't intend on going back to the louvre; I wasn't a big fan. I would like to go to L'Orangerie, Pompideau, Cluny, Pantheon and Versailles."

You could conceivably spend a day at Versailles and still get to the Pompidou, which is open til 9 pm (if you have the strength after a day at Versailles).
The other are a comfortably doable in one day. I'd just add up the individual entrance fees to see if you do save money. The nice thing about the pass is that if you happen to pass another site, you can pop in for a few minutes without worrying if you will "get your money's worth."

Posted by
2026 posts

We are big museum people, particularly art museums, and liked the pass. We too, went to the Louvre several times, but also enjoyed the Cluny; the Lady and the Unicorn tapestries were mesmerizing (also a return visit) and the Rodin. If you do the Cluny, or even if you don't, try Tracy Chevalier's book, The Lady and the Unicorn. Apologies to my 4th grade teacher, I don't know how to underline that title.

Posted by
416 posts

Alayna,

I would like to second the advice that the nice thing about the pass is that you can pop into a museum not on your list. I particularly liked the Musee du Moyen Age and the Cite de la Musique. I also popped into a fashion exhibit that I would have skipped if I hadn't had the pass. BTW, the Musee du Moyen Age has original stone carvings and pieces of stained glass from Notre Dame that are right at eye level with the glass illuminated from behind. Nice to have that brought down to where you can appreciate the details and it isn't one of the big, popular museums so generally not crowded. It also has a display of toys from the middle ages that I thought was pretty neat.

Posted by
463 posts

we're in paris now--we bought the pass to make it easier to get in to the sights, not to make it cheaper (we're here for two weeks, so we're going more slowly, which means the pass is less useful money-savings-wise) and we wish we hadn't (we bought the six day pass, so for two we spent over $200 US)mainly because it hasn't managed to get us in to anything quickly. we stood in a crazy long line at the louvre, and then just as it was our turn to FINALLY go through security (the pass does not, as mentioned above, excuse you from security lines--as it shouldn't!) they let TWO tour groups go in front of us. at st chappelle, there were two lines to get in...but one door. so no help there, either. basically, if you're buying it to save money and you've done the math and you will save money, do it. if, like us, you just want the 'fast access'--skip it, for there is no such thing as fast access in paris.

Posted by
16 posts

Definitely worth it. In addition to the Louvre (twice), we went to Orangerie, Versailles, Arc De Triomphe, Rodin, and Napoleon's tomb. Probably saved 20EUR per person.

Posted by
4555 posts

Tracy...imagine the delay if you had had to go through security AND buy tickets. If you had gone in through the entrance through the underground mall, you would have escaped those long security lines coming in through the Pyramide entrance.
The pass is also valuable bypassing what can be long lineups for tickets at Versailles....and hugely-long ticket lineups at the D'Orsay.

Posted by
463 posts

Norm--you're right. Had we used it at Versailles--which was our plan--it would have been worth more than its weight in gold (it doesn't weigh very much!) but we crossed Versailles from our plan (to avoid crowds--ha!) We did use the other entrance to the louvre--i think we just did it at a very stupid time. and the tour group thing didn't help (the tour lady almost got into a fist fight with the security guard...it was funny and scary at the same time!) additionally, we got the iAmsterdam card for amsterdam and LOVED it (we actually did walk right past the giant line for the van gogh musuem) and enjoyed the unlimited transport pass-ness of it (though the paris pass really doesn't need that, as carnets of tickets are such a great idea--love love love the paris metro!)

and alayna--we did do the cluny, and really REALLY enjoyed it. we plan to visit the rodin museum before the end of our trip as well, and the pompidou. being able to do these things and have them be 'free' is a benefit. additionally, there's some chalet in a park at the end of the line 1 metro that my husband wants to visit that's also included--so i can see how it would be good for that purpose. sorry my bad louvre and st. chappelle experiences caused me to be so negative about the pass. (it was just very expensive)

Posted by
273 posts

I agree with Tim, if you had to buy tickets as well it would have really been a long delay. When traveling the time you save in line you can spend somewhere else.

Posted by
47 posts

I also want to dip into the musee picasso although rick steve's 2010 said it was closed for renovation, but the website says its open...I guess I should order my pass so it has time to get here!
Also- the last time I went to europe, I didn't encounter the crazy lines everyone talks about. I bought a louvre ticket ahead of time and at orsay and van gogh in AMS I had no issue. I like going at off peak times in the year so maybe that helped......

Posted by
47 posts

Yikes! I just realized it's only a 2 day pass,not 3 like I thought!
In that case.....can I do cluny,pantheon,pompidou,l'orangerie in one day? Those are all around latin quarter and marais right? then versailles the next?

Posted by
463 posts

"can I do cluny,pantheon,pompidou,l'orangerie in one day?"

yes, you can, if you get to the firt one the minute it opens, run through all of them, use the metro, and do only musuems all day long, without eating. or peeing. i'm not kidding or being mean--i'm in paris right now, and have been shocked by how un-possible (yes i know that's not a word) most travel plans sound (including the binder full of my own that i may use as kindling in a campfire sometime before the end of the summer!) i'd seriously consider getting a three day pass, or just spending the money on admission. the attractions you've listed are not big ticket items. though i totally agree that you should use one of the days for versailles--i've heard (but not experienced) that the ticket lines there can be insane.

EDIT--forgot to mention, pompidou is open late (i think every day until 9ish), so really, if you wanted to do that, you could. you'd have to start somewhere at 9am and go until 9pm, but it is do-able. and the cafes and restaurants around the pompidou are open very late every day.

Posted by
29 posts

Since the Pompidou is open late, you can do the Pantheon (at the top of the hill) Cluny, and l'Orangerie during the day with nice walks in between. Sept 5 is the first Sunday of the month, when museums are free. The lines are usually do-able, but things are more crowded then. If you are going to try to do four in one day, check the hours on their web pages as guide books are sometimes inaccurate.

Posted by
11507 posts

I would rather walk on hot coals then do the Louvre on a free sunday, did that once, by accident( last day in Paris) and it was a MISTAKE. If you want to do museums on free sundays save it for the lesser known ones,, you can pop in and out for free and if they aren't great then you haven't lost alot of time, or wasted an admission on them.

The museum pass no longer comes in a 3 day version,. Its 2 , 4, or 6 days .

Posted by
29 posts

On first Sundays in Summer, I have been to the Picasso with no line,  l'Orangerie with a short line, and the Cluny with a long line (when we went in but none when we came out.) I have been past the Pantheon many times and never seem a line, but i do not know if any of those times were first Sundays. You can get a taste of Versailles by skipping the palace and seeing only the gardens which are free most days and not nearly so crowded.

Posted by
463 posts

picasso is DEFINITELY closed. walked by today. but there are several rooms of picasso on the 5th floor of the pompidou (went last night) hope that helps. have fun!

Posted by
196 posts

Denny,

As a retired English teacher, you made my day by knowing that book titles should be underlined! have you read other Tracy Chevalier titles? i've enjoyed all of her books. Another hsitorical fiction author you might enjoy is Sarah Dunant.