Please sign in to post.

Paris Museum Pass

Just returned from Paris...had planned to purchase the Museum Pass at the Archeological Crypt, as Steve suggested, but they had a sign posted saying they no longer sell them (I think they were overrun by Steveophiles). We bought ours at the Conciergerie, which always seemed to have a short line. Well worth the price, if only for the line-cut capabilities it affords you at the Louvre, Orsay, and Versailles.

Posted by
557 posts

Saw the same sign. We bought ours at the Picasso museum near our apartment. No line at all.

Posted by
138 posts

Speaking of the pass, my understanding is that once you use it, you have to use it up on consecutive days. Am I correct? So if I get a two-day pass, and go to a museum today, I have to go to a museum tomorrow as well. Also, can one use the pass to go to more than one museum during the same day? I never used it before, but now am thinking of getting one just to pass up the lines.

Posted by
12 posts

Yes, the pass must be used on consecutive days, and can be used for as many museums as you can endure during that period. Not sure if they offer a 2-day pass anymore, though...

Posted by
8700 posts

The current pass is for two, four, or six days. The old one was for one, three, or five days.

Posted by
10 posts

You can also get them online and have them mailed to you. Even with the cost of mailing they were worth it for my daughter and I. The website says to allow ten days for delivery but I got mine in one week. www.parismuseumpass.com

Susan

Posted by
34 posts

Thank you so much for this post. We are going to Paris in September and had planned on starting our day purchasing the pass at the Crypt. I will now seek it elsewhere. This helpline has been so helpful to me.

Posted by
1 posts

We are a family of 4 with 2 teens. If we buy adult Paris Museum Passes, can the kids cut the line with us if there is no admission charge for teens at the Musuem? And, where the museum DOES charge teen admission, do we have to all wait in line if only the adults have the pass? I am trying to determine if the pass is a good idea for all 4 of us, or just the 2 adults, since it appears the teens admissions are free at most places.

I would appreciate help from a family who has faced these issues.
Thanks

Posted by
557 posts

Hi, just got back from Paris with our family of 5 - 3 teens.

Just buy Paris Museum passes for the adults. Children under 18 are FREE at Paris Museums and are treated very well. You queue up with your children in the shorter line of people with passes or tickets. You show your passes to the ticket takers and point to your children and say something like "These are my children" in English or French and you walk right in.

At the Orsay Museum, a musuem helper outside the museum looked at us and our children and pointed us to the shorter line immediately.

The Paris Musuem ticket takers all seem so relaxed about the children and just let them in. There was never a problem.

Posted by
98 posts

Does anyone know whether the Paris Museum Pass includes the audioguides at Versailles? A friend in Paris told me it was now included.

Also, at Marie Antoinette's hamlet, are the buildings only for external viewing?

Thanks.

We bought our Museum Pass at the Conciergerie as well, though we wasted some time checking and asking at Notre Dame and the Metro station. It was also on sale in the Eurostar terminal before I left London...

Posted by
29 posts

So should we purchase the museum pass online before going to Paris or can passes be purchased there? I'm wanting a 2day pass...

Posted by
219 posts

Does anyone know if it's worth economically getting a Paris museum pass for a college student? If I remember correctly from my college days, the discounts were pretty decent. Don't have to worry about the lines. We'll be going Christmas week.

Posted by
153 posts

Jeannine - in my opinion (just my opinion) the primary benefit of the Museum Pass is jumping the queues. You could save money if you are a museum enthusiast and plan on doing two or three museums every day. But, let's face it, I'm old and have more money than time (or sense, one could argue) and I hate waiting in line.

The Museum Pass is a huge time saver. It is not a huge money saver.

When I was a college student, I had waaay more time than money, and waiting in line was something I could do very easily. Not any more.

I love using the Museum Pass on Tuesday mornings at the d'Orsay, when there are a couple of thousand people waiting to buy tickets. It's closed Monday, so Tuesdays are busy. Sometimes it's embarassing, how many people you skip ahead of.

Posted by
557 posts

Jared,
The buildings in the Marie Antoinette halmet are for external viewing only. You can't go in them or climb on them.

Posted by
5 posts

We have bought our museum passes at the Cite Metro stop just a block from Notre-Dame Cathedral. Last year, we purchased passes for our entire group and went to the Louvre (there's a little area in the Carrousel du Louvre shopping area) to buy in bulk.

The last time I checked, they were available in 2-, 4- and 6-day passes.

I would buy the museum pass after arriving in Paris.

The museum pass is also great for Sainte-Chapelle. There, you get to literally waltz to the front of the line rather than enter into a shorter line.

A lot of people don't realize that yo can bypass the line to the Louvre at the pyramid by entering in the Carrousel du Louvre...through the Musee du Louvre metro stop.

Posted by
12 posts

Brandie -- There is no short line at Saint Chappelle anymore. Everyone has to go thru security because the church is inside the grounds of the Palais de Justice.

Posted by
5 posts

Carol...I guess I meant once you get inside the gates...past the security line. There is usually a long line to the entrance of Sainte-Chapelle for people to buy tickets. However, with the museum pass, you can flash your pass to the ticket-taker and enter the church.

The pass won't ever let you waltz to the front of the line when you're dealing with security.

Sorry if my post was a little misleading. :-(