Please sign in to post.

Paris Lodging

Any recommended strategies for "value" accommodations in or near Paris. Love Rue Cler "type" neighborhood but hotels can be pricey. Are there Gites in cool neighborhoods like Rue Cler? What about the outskirts of Paris, like Vincennes.... any Rue Cler "ish" neighborhoods on the outskirts with easy access to Paris sights? Will be in Paris in September for 5 nights...family of three. Thank you!

Posted by
137 posts

Eric,
My family stayed at the Hotel des Nations on Rue Monge. Breakfast included. We had two rooms, one for wife and myself the other for our two children 18 and 13 at the time in 2004. We would stay there again. It's the Latin Quarter near a Metro stop (Monge). We had a view of Notre Dame from our 3rd floor balcony. University is near by as well as the old Roman Colisseum. Many shops for food, snacks, banks, espresso, within blocks. Great restaurants and nice nite-life. We plan to stay there again on our next trip. It's not the Ritz and it's not Motel 6. Steve

Posted by
11507 posts

Eric, there are many many areas/neighborhoods like Rue Clerish around Paris, Rick Steves focuses on one, but its simply not the only one. I will say that at this point September is not going to be easy to book, its a very popular time for trade shows etc and hotels do not have many deals available , so yes, its a pricey time for hotel rates, and vacancies are not high...best to get something sooner rather then later. Staying outside Paris is not always the best idea, looks good at first but consider commuting time and costs,it can add up , and if your child is young that extra hour or so commuting may not be a good idea( depends on age of child I would think) but all that said, I have found one that may be interesting to you. I haven't stayed there, just read the reviews, its apparently only about 30 mins commute and the reviews look pretty good to me. Its near a line that takes you right into the heart of Paris . Anyways,, look it up, google for reviews, etc.. Hotel Saint Louis Paris Vincennes

Posted by
6 posts

I've stayed in a three star hotel on St. Germain (St. German des Pres), on the left bank, and a tiny apt. in Les Marais, on Rue des Francs Bourgeois...just barely north of Notre Dame. Either area is incredibly beautiful and enriching. An apartment is by far the cheapest...we paid about 80 Euros per night for a VERY simple place for 2, but the apartments can be as luxurious or sparse as you wish. We used the recommendation of friend for www.apartment-in-paris.com and were very satisfied with Isabelles service. It was tiny but clean and even came with a glimpse of Montmartre. The Les Marais area is special, and eclectic and eccentric and enchanting. From the sad and sobering markers on walls denoting removal of the residents to German concentration camps, to wonderful little bistros and shops, parks, and monuments, I'd choose this area again. Our best experience....trying to understand the tiny elderly French ladies explain how to use the laundromat machines, while a Llama, yes really, was led past on the street by a 20 something in high, high heels. Oh, reminder, visit the little groceries and bakeries for bread and butter, coffee, and wonderful pastries and croissants. A nice leisurely breakfast in your room occasionally will save money and get you started well for a day in Paris...the typical French breakfast is pretty much coffee, toast and a croissant with orange juice...which can be very expensive for a family at a cafe every day.

Posted by
12 posts

We found what looks to be a nice Apt Just South of the Eiffel tower area for around $100 per night on AirBnB. We also used them to find our BnB in Amsterdam for similar money. We'll know by the end of July how well they have worked out. I'm sure you'll have found something by then though.

Posted by
7 posts

Eric, having lived there, I'm partial to the 11th, in between Republique and Bastille. The Oberkampf area has a similar feel as the Rue Cler, but isn't a pedestrian area. It safe, quiet, has a great market & park, is close to Canal St Martin and major metro lines. I'd suggest you avoid staying in the "outskirts" or beyond the Peripherique for two reasons. One, to avoid extra travel time going to & from your hotel (especially after a long day). Second, some of the of the banlieue, or suburbs, are like some of our inner cities. They can be rough.

Posted by
10 posts

Thank you all for your great suggestions!

Posted by
2173 posts

I heartily second Dorsey's suggestion. Some vacation rentals require a week's stay, but many allow shorter stays. Another website to look at is Homelidays.

Posted by
7 posts

I just stayed this week at Hotel Lindbergh which is recommended by Steve. Also stayed at Hotel De l'Arcade which was also an excellent choice. They were extremely helpful with directions and the rooms in both places were very nice. My last night was in Hotel Verlain in East Paris. It was highly rated on Travel Advisor but I would NOT recommend Hotel Verlain. East Paris is not so nice and the staff was not friendly or nice especially Gene at the front desk.

Posted by
16 posts

Hotel Acte V is also on Rue Monge, great value and clean. Staying there again in August.