Please sign in to post.

paris lodging

I am going to Paris in September and I am wondering where is the best place to stay? Any help would be appreciated.

Posted by
32219 posts

Suzanne, Are you referring to the best area of Paris to stay in? Everyone here has their own preferences, but I prefer the Rue Cler area, in the 7th Arrondissement (district) near the Eiffel Tower. There are some nice Hotels there, it's very convenient for transit (Metro), great restaurants and it's within walking distance to some of the more popular sights. You may want to have a look at the France or Paris Guidebooks to get some idea of the characteristics of the different areas. You should be able to find copies at your local Libraries or larger book stores. There is also lots of information on hotels, restaurants, transportation and sightseeing details in the books. Happy travels!

Posted by
1878 posts

I agree with Rue Cler - you are near the Eiffel Tower but with good transit connections to the Louvre, Notre Dame, and Marais areas. In May 2010 it was our fourth trip to Paris, and the best based in part on our location. Get Rick's book, his hotel recommendations are always great. Some folks on this board eschew Rue Clear based upon it being "touristy". While you will no doubt see other tourists there, we had a nice time there and found locals sitting beside us the cafes as well. By far the best part of Paris where we have stayed.

Posted by
501 posts

Like many others we like the Rue Cler area as well, we've had 4 good experiences at the old venerable Hotel Le'Veque, and have reserved again for this July. If your budget is flexible, you may want to consider the Hotel named St. James (Saint James) &Albany located on Rue de Rivoli. Excellent location. Very near the Louvre, right across from the Gardens Tuillerie, close to Angela's and Hotel Meurice. Rue de Rivoli is also the street upon which the Tour de France riders take as they appear from under the tunnels near the Louvre. A metro site is right in front of the Hotels entrance. Can be pricy, but if you work hard you may land a promotional discounted room. Very touristy and eateries are over-priced, search and you'll find more reasonably priced places. If this is your first visit to Paris, it will not matter where you stay, you'll be overwhelmed with the magic of Paris. Hotel Le'Veque has tiny rooms, an interesting "lift", disregard what they call breakfast, walk a few feet from Hotel to nearby Bakery; A/C isn't the greatest. Very user friendly for a first-timer in Paris, close proximity to Tour de Eiffel, metro in close proximity. Get one of Rick Steve's older guidebooks and read up on the Rue Cler area. I'm looking forward to using the Bus on this visit, RS, covers which Bus routes to use.

Posted by
2030 posts

I recently spent a few nights at the Hotel Britannique, centrally located near the Hotel de Ville. Very nice hotel, lovely location -- near the Seine, Rue du Rivoli and easy walk to many other sights. It is not a budget hotel, but pretty reasonable. I recommend it for a first-timer.

Posted by
10247 posts

I too have stayed in the Rue Cler area, but I don't prefer it. I would rather stay somewhere that is walkable to many activities so I don't have to take the metro everywhere. I think the Marais (4th), Latin Quarter (5th) and St. Germaine (6th) are better for that.

Posted by
11507 posts

Well the 7th is not as central to many sites as I like , so I never stay in that area, its also a bit more residential then I like, but to each his own. Rick Steves promoted the area years ago and people on this board seem to like it , but there are street markets in every area, and cafes and shops too. I also find it ironic that the one RS tour I took , and the one my friend took, neither time were either of our hotels in the 7th, but they put us in the 14th and 4th.
I think most first timers do well staying in the 4th, 5th and 6th. September is a very busy month for hotels in Paris, its not the tourist trade but the fact that is the very busy fashion and trade show season, so hotel occupancy goes down, and prices up, so book earlier rather then later to get your first choices . I also think you should just google for a " map of tourist sites" of paris, there are tons on the net, and you can easily see how the sites are grouped, there is no ONE area that will be conveneient to everything so getting in an area with good transport options does help. If you state a budget many here can give some actual hotel suggestions to look at, or even an apartment if you are so inclined, but at this point apartments may be harder to find..

Posted by
9422 posts

Like Andrea and Pat, my favorite areas of Paris to stay in are the 4th, 5th and 6th. As close to the river as possible.

Posted by
262 posts

I suggest a first timer stay in an area other than the 7th. You pretty much have to travel by metro or bus to get to many things you probably want to see. Only the Eiffel Tower is in the 7th. Most everything else is more in the 4th, 5th and 6th. Personally, I love the 1st and 3rd.
Can't really gone wrong anywhere, when it comes down to it! Happy Travels!!