Please sign in to post.

Paris Itinerary

Does this sound feasible for 8 days in Paris end of Oct. beginning Nov.? Buy a 6 day museum pass. Sunday: Check into hotel St. Sulspice church area) around 3 or 4. Get acquainted with area. Dinner in Latin Quarter, then take the Ilse St.Louis, Notre Dame Walk. Monday: Latin Quarter. Cluny Museum, St. Germain de Pres, St. Sulspice Church, Pantheon Museum, all in no particular order. Dinner somewhere. In the evening take the Place de Concorde /Vendome/L'Opera Walk. Tuesday: Eiffel Tower neighborhood. Napolean's Tomb, Rodin Museum. Eveining Eiffel Tower from Trocadero. Wednesday: Historical Center. St. Chapelle, Deportation Museum, Cite Metro Stop, Notre Dame, Isle St. Louis. Evening Arch de Triumph/Champs Elysee Walk. Thursday: Versaille Friday: Museum Neighborhood. Orsay, Orangerie. Have a drink and enjoy view from Concord-Lafayette. Evening Marais walk. Saturday: Montmarte and Sacre Couer, then Marais.
Sunday: St. Sulspice organ concert and whatever. Thank you

Posted by
10222 posts

It's great you have so much time in Paris. I'm wondering why you have planned all your 'walks' in the evening, when it will be dark? No plans to see the Louvre? On Thursday it won't take all day and evening for Versailles, so you can add something for later in the day. You are planning to see a lot, but it's good to see you aren't planning down to the minute. You may end up missing a few things, but don't worry, Paris will be there for you if you want to return some day. Don't forget to take some time to just enjoy being there. Sit at a sidewalk cafe with a glass of wine and people watch.

Posted by
179 posts

We've visited the Louvre before and found it both over and underwhelming. With the 6 day pass I feel we can squeeze it in if we want to. The evening walks are in Rick's Paris book; he has a whole section of them under entertainment and are listed as night walks. We always walk after dinner anyway, especially when in a new place, and thought it would be fun to see Paris at night. We find we do end up sending lots of time sitting and having a drink while watching the scene, so some of these sights may well be dropped in favor of that. We have mixed feelings about Versailles because grand houses are not our thing, but think we may learn a lot about history. We've been up the Eiffel before, (0 years ago!)so won't take the time to do it again. We are expecting rain, so figure we'll just get wet.
Thank you for the encouragment

Posted by
10222 posts

I've been to Versailles twice. The chateau is Over The Top!! My first trip was in the winter and we were unable to see the gardens, etc. due to the weather. Last fall I was able to see the Petit Trianon, gardens, etc. and that was definitely a highlight for me. Just because others may say that a place is a 'must see' doesn't make it so for everyone. Last year I did a walk through the Marais with a volunteer with the Paris Greeters program. Although I had been through that area previously it was fantastic to learn so much history about the area from a local. It's a program you may consider looking into. When applying online you state your interests and they try to match you up with a volunteer. There is no cost, but they do take donations. It sounds like you have a good attitude about traveling and you should have a great time!

Posted by
1315 posts

Hi Nancy - It looks great. I like to do the Marais on Sunday as the shops are open on Sunday. You might want to add the Marmatton museum and the Palais Royale area and on a nice day, visit the Luxembourg Gardens.

Posted by
179 posts

Yes, when the weather is nice, we will go to as many gardens as we can, probably foregoing museums for them. The tour idea sounds interesting.
Thanks

Posted by
9420 posts

Grier beat me to it :) The Luxembourg Gardens are wonderful! My favorite place in Paris.

Posted by
1 posts

your itinerary is not that ambitious if you take the metro everywhere. The Metro is fast clean and efficient. It is also confusing. I recommend that you get an app by fogDen called Paris Metro subway guide. It is a lifesaver. the metro can be very confusing. This application makes it very simple to travel through the underground maze. we just got back from a week in Paris this month. We covered almost as much ground in 5 days as you plan to in eight. We used the Metro extensively and loved it. You can get a metro pass at almost any metro station from the kiosk. If the French language intimidates you they have English translation for all transactions on the elektronic kiosk.
Bon chance mes amis

Posted by
179 posts

We plan on walking whenever feasible. We walk all over wherever we are. I seem to remember using a bus just once the last time I was in Paris, but that was 30 years ago. I have us in one section of the city each day, but in the evening our walks are in different areas. We will probably try to have dinner in the area we will be walking that night, then when finished hoof it back to the hotel where we will fall into a deep and restful sleep, feeling virtuous for having walked off the cheese course and dessert!

Posted by
1976 posts

Hi Nancy. I found the Metro VERY easy to use - excellent signage in the tunnels and clear in terms of which direction the train was going in. You'll want to buy a carnet of 10 tickets, 1 carnet per person. We were there for a week and used 13 tickets each - one carnet, plus 3 tickets each on our last full day there.

Posted by
9110 posts

I don't think you'll use many metro tickets since everything is so well-grouped. The execeptions: a. The day you go up to Montmartre since that's about three miles from St Sulspice. b. The day you walk up the Champs to the Arc, you'll probably want to ride back since it will be close to three miles and you will have been walking slightly uphill most of the way there.. c. The night you finish at Trocadero - - it's less than three miles, but you're going to be pooped. Unsolicited comment: You've scheduled about everything that Rickites do, but you've missed some of the best things in the city. And, unless you're an art nut, you've got too much time in museums.

Posted by
179 posts

Not an art nut. I am worried that it is too many museums, but if I don't buy the 6 day pass, I think we'll feel we have to slam them in, and if I part with the money for it I'll feel I have to use it. I do want to see the Orsay and the Orangerie very much; my husband wants to see the Army Museum very much; we both want to see the Rodin. I like Medieval, so the Orsay. What am I missing?
Thanks for the help!

Posted by
8293 posts

Nancy, you say, "I like Medieval so the Orsay". The Musee d'Orsay is dedicated to 19th century art.

Posted by
11507 posts

Nancy if you like Medival then you go to the Cluny, Medieval Museum, as noted, the Orsay does not go that far back.

Posted by
179 posts

I misspoke. I meant the Cluny for Medieval, but it is one I would be willing to skip, as we have been to other Medieval museums, and Europe is so full of Medieval buidings. The Orsay is a must and probably the Orangerie. After being in Arles in May we are eager for Van Gogh, and we would like to see Monet's Lillies. I do think we will end up dropping some of those other museums.
Thanks, all the input is very helpful.

Posted by
1315 posts

If you do get a museum pass, the beauty is that you can go into small museums like the Cluny and check them out and not feel you have to spend a lot of time if there's nothing that grabs you.

Posted by
15582 posts

Wednesday - do you mean the Deportation Memorial? You may also like the Conciergerie - a medieval castle. Friday - why Marais walk if you are going to be there again the next day? I agree that the Marais quarter is much nicer on Sunday during the day - if the weather is good. Streets are closed off and everyone is out walking - on Saturday also, but somehow Sundays are better. You may want to pop in at the Carnavalet Museum in the Marais - it's dedicated to the history of Paris, and is free. You may also like the Basilica of Saint Denis - it's not far out of the center, easy to get to by metro. If you aren't into "grand" palaces, why go to Versailles? There's so much to see in Paris.

Posted by
179 posts

Yes, Memorial, sorry. Mixed feelings about Versailles, but maybe we'd learn some interesting hx? Ed said we will miss the best of Paris if following our plan, but hasn't yet said what that is. Anybody know?
Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Posted by
3049 posts

If you and your husband have different tastes in museums, why not split up? While I found the Army Museum surprisingly interesting, if I had limited time I wouldn't have gone to it, I would have seen something I wanted that he didn't instead.

Posted by
179 posts

We don't have so much different tastes as different favorites; I very much want to see Napoleon's Tomb and the WW1 exhibits, other stuff not so much. My h likes the art almost as much as I. Anyway, we're off. Thanks for all the help!

Posted by
262 posts

We just spent two weeks in Paris and saw 8 museums. My favorite was the Pompidou, if you like modern art. We did not plan each day until the night before. We always wanted to see what the weather was going to be, as it did change from day to day. I think it's ok to plan a trip, but I don't understand the need to plan the entire trip by day ahead of time? Maybe, because I have been there many times?? To each their own, just slight puzzled. Happy Travels!

Posted by
179 posts

Only to remind ourselves what our priorities are, and what things are close to one another, when they are open, makes winging it easier. Only been to P. once 30 years ago.