Please sign in to post.

Paris in November

Am I crazy - weatherwise - for planning a trip to Paris in early November? I figure most of my time will be spent indoors at museums, cathedrals, etc..., but I also want to do a lot of wandering around, and I prefer it not to be raining all the time! Also, has anyone stayed in the Hotel Paris France? It's less expensive than other hotels I have checked out on the internet and is near the Louvre. I'm a woman traveling alone, and I'm not paranoid, but I want to feel safe. Thanks.

Posted by
198 posts

Hi, I was in Paris the first week of November a couple of years ago. We were lucky -- no rain at all! The sun will rise about 7:30, and set around 5:30. Average high temp is probably low 50's then, which will be beautiful for walking around. Have a great time!

Posted by
2916 posts

There is no bad time for a trip to Paris. Seriously, I've been there almost every time of the year. Paris is one city that it hardly matters what the weather is like. Yes, it's great if it's sunny and mild and you can stroll along the Seine, but it's no problem even if it snows. And this is coming from someone who is tired of big cities and spends most of his vacations in the French countryside.

Posted by
3696 posts

Tracy,
I was in Paris and Normandy the last week of November last year and the weather was fabulous... I know it can be it or miss, but we were able to be outside as much as we wanted, but if the weather had been bad... plenty to do inside. Just take layers for clothing and you should be fine.

Posted by
10192 posts

It's much nicer than Chicago at that time of year. You aren't crazy at all.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks everyone for your encouraging replies. I am so looking forward to my first trip to Paris!

Posted by
7209 posts

Hotel Paris France sounds like a decent hotel, and in fact I had reservations there a couple of years ago. However I decided I wanted to stay in the Latin Quarter near Notre Dame, Pantheon, Sorbonne which turned out to be really very nice. I stayed in the Hotel Agora St Germain, but I really wanted to stay here: http://www.hotelcdf.com/ http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187147-d271939-Reviews-Hotel_du_College_de_France-Paris_Ile_de_France.html Unfortunately they were fully booked. They get great reviews and the location is superb. They also have cheap prices.

Posted by
1068 posts

You are not crazy! My husband and I go to Paris every year in November/December or December/January and we love it! Okay, maybe WE are crazy! :-) But I don't think so. Yes, there can be rain. And it can be cool and damp and cloudy. But it's Paris! You have a zillion indoor choices - museums, shopping, cafes, churches, whatnot - and you can do your tromping around outdoors on clear days. And I love that November is as free of tourist hordes as you are likely to find Paris. And the cool weather, to me, beats the heck out of Paris summers, which can be brutally hot in a land with less A/C than we are used to here in the States. Another bonus is the atmospheric look and feel of the overcast skies, with a peek or two of sun to gild a roof or spire here and there. It's just lovely! And nothing is cozier than sitting over a piping hot cafe creme and people watching on a misty day. And on the other hand, you could get sun. We've had quite a few sunny days in late fall/winter in Paris. I have not stayed at Hotel Paris France, sorry. Have a great time!

Posted by
893 posts

Weather in Paris is crazy unpredictable these days. It was a beautiful weekend followed by near-freezing overnight temperatures. Who knows what November will bring? Pack one of everything, be prepared to dress in layers and peel them off as the temperature goes up 30 degrees F in one morning, and you'll do fine. However, don't count on zero crowds. Your trip is during the fall school break. I took my kids to Paris for several days during break last fall and we were shocked at how crowded the museums and other tourist attractions were. With the "last-minute" lengthening of break this year, a lot of people are going to have extra time on their hands and nothing planned during the first two weeks of November. (And I was thinking I'd kill the extra time by taking my kids to Paris...)

Posted by
893 posts

October 27 - November 11. Unlike the winter and spring breaks (which are staggered) every region in the country has the same fall break.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks Dina, I didn't know there was a fall break. Hope they all spend it away from Paris!