Please sign in to post.

Paris in December

Any tips on boots for rain/snow for husband for trip to Paris (as well as Rhine River Cruise) in December. Need something comfy for walking but that look good and keep the tootsies warm. Want him to look good but be able to enjoy the sightseeing.

Posted by
12040 posts

I don't think you'll need boots. Most of NW Europe averages well above freezing in December. If you see any snow at all, it will be a very light coating that quickly melts. It does rain frequently, but not in torrents. Usually only in light sprinkles. And in Paris, you will probably spend a significant amount of time indoors. Your feet may become uncomfortably warm in winter boots. Finally, all the Rhine cruise boats that I see in operation during the winter months are mostly enclosed, so even there, you will be inside for long periods of time. Here's what I would do- get some warm pairs of socks. The weather where I live is about the same as in Paris (maybe slightly cooler), and I wear pretty much the same shoes in winter as I do in the summer. The only thing I change is if I'm going to be outside for long periods of time, I wear thicker socks. My feet are never cold or wet, and I generally spend a lot of time outside even in the winter. The only place I ever need to wear winter boots is in the Alps, where I know the snow will be deep and the temperatures usually stay well below freezing. Now of course, if you wanted to wear boots purely for style, that's a different matter, but not one that I can particularly help you with.