Please sign in to post.

Paris in 3 Days

I will be in Paris April 6-10. This is my first time and I am traveling by myself. I am staying in Montmartre, Does anyone know how safe this area is? Also, I want to see the main tourist sites (Eiffel tower, Louvre, Notre Dame, Arc de triomphe) but I am not sure if I am being over ambitious since I do have limited time and I will be using public transportation. Lastly, what is the weather like in April? I read it is rainy but not sure how cold. Any information will help!

Posted by
14 posts

Part 1: To make the best use of your limited time, I suggest getting the current year edition of the Rick Steves Paris guidebook. (It will pay for itself in making value out of your time.) In the guidebook, start with the section that lists which items are closed on which days of the week, and which items are most crowded on which days of the week. Then take your goals, and sort them by priority into the available times, following those tips. Read up and get a better-defined idea of what you want to do at each place. You could spend all four days at the Louve, but I would not spend more than a half-day there, unless you have specific artworks in different zones of the museum that you absolutely have to see. So plan out which areas you really want. Also, plan to enter by subway, as Rick describes. There's no need to wait to enter if you follow his tip.
When you say Notre Dame, are you going to be satisfied with going in the main level, where people normally go for church? Or do you need to climb up to see the bell towers. I enjoyed the tower, but it can take a long time in line, so you don't want to wait in that line unless it is important to you.

Posted by
14 posts

Part 2: ... Similarly, some people (like me) think the best visit to the Eiffel tower is reserving the elevator to the 2nd level, and not bothering with the highest level. Deciding on this will affect how much time it takes. Read what the guidebook says about getting the package deal of various admissions etc, because it may or may not fit your needs. It worked for me, twice. I would bring a rain shell jacket or windbreaker. If it is raining heavily on a day you NEED to stand in line, then you can buy an umbrella there and throw it away. But you probably won't need to. It's probably safe to sleep in Montmartre if you follow Rick's tips, and don't hang out at night in places that aren't full of people. If you want to go out drinking, do it at home.
You should be able to do all of this if you plan well. Good luck, and enjoy.

Posted by
2030 posts

Montmartre is generally a fine area. The Sacre Coeur and neighboring area is nice for walking around, but not real close to the rest of the main Paris sights, so you will have to take metro, a cab or the bus to them. Plan ahead on what you want to do to make best use of your time. For 3 days I suggest. Watch weather forecast and pick the best day for going up the Eiffel Tower to second level. Try to catch the light show on the hour in the evening also, which you can see from the ground. I would visit the D'Orsay museum and the Louvre just seeing the "biggies" there - Mona Lisa, Winged Victory and Venus di Milo. I would visit Notre Dame, but skip climbing to the top unless you really want to do this, can climb a lot of small stairs and are not claustrophobic! Walk the Ile de la Cite and St. Louis, St. Chappelle and the Concergerie are nearby and worth visiting. You can take the 1 metro line to the Arch de Triomphe. Walking down the Champs Elysee is not that necessary with having only 3 days there... save for next time. Of course reading Rick's Paris book will be a great help, be sure you have it!
Try to stop once in a while and sit and enjoy a cafe atmosphere. It could be chilly, could rain or not. Monitor the weather forecast and pack accordingly.

Posted by
635 posts

I'll assume your 3 days are April 7, 8 & 9. That's Saturday, Sunday and Monday so you'll have crowds at all the big sights. I suggest the Paris Museum Pass to beat the lines a little bit. If April 7 is "jet lag day," I'd recommend the 2 day pass. If not, splurge on the 4 day. The Orsay and Versailles are closed on Monday. On a true 3 day visit, I suggest considering a couple of hours at the Louvre, the Orsay and the Army Museum. I personally love the Cluny but only if you have the time. Walk through Notre Dame, Sainte-Chapelle and the Eiffel Tower. Personally, I'd skip going up the ET if it's a mob scene. You have better things to do than stand in line for two hours just to go up an elevator but that's just my opinion. The real "sight" is just seeing it, especially at night. There are plenty of scenic walks. I would suggest you go to Versailles; but if you only really have two days, I'd say skip it. It is real impressive and definitely one of the more interesting sights. If you go, go very early and book a tour which will go to areas closed to the general public. You could be back early afternoon. You can't miss Sacre Coeur and just sipping coffee or wine in the square next to it. There are great night views of Paris from there. That's the plus of staying in that area because you will effectively end every day with one of the best views of Paris. Montmarte is a very diverse area. It's also home to Paris' red light district. Like any big city watch your surroundings. Defintely, get the Paris book and carefully plan your visit. It will definitely be cool with an excellent chance of rain.

Posted by
73 posts

That is Easter weekend so be prepared for crowds everywhere, especially churches.

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you for all the information. I will definetly get the book and plan accordingly. My biggest concern is walking alone in the evening since the hotel I booked is farther away from the center of town. But I will read up on that area. Once again, thank you all!

Posted by
248 posts

Is it too late to un-book your hotel? If you stay in the 4th, 5th, or 6th arrondissements, you'll be able to walk to most of the major sights. The RS book lists many affordable hotel choices for these areas.

Posted by
8 posts

I can cancel my hotel reservation until the end of the month. I will be purchasing the book this weekend and will look for the information on the hotel. Than you Dale!

Posted by
2349 posts

I stayed at the Hotel du Loiret in the Marais in October. It is just steps away from the Rue du Rivoli, and it was easy to walk to Notre Dame, etc. I was alone and felt very safe. It's not fancy but was clean. Lots of cafes nearby. I think you'd be more comfortable closer in to the action than in Montmartre. http://www.hotel-du-loiret.fr/

Posted by
9420 posts

I also think it would be a really good idea to get a hotel in the 4th, 5th or 6th arrondissement. I think you'll be much happier being right in the heart of Paris.

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you for the hotel suggestions, they are both great!

Posted by
1986 posts

if you are in the center of Paris, you can virtually walk to the main sights, probably want to take the Metro to Eiffel tower and Sacre Couer; but definitely a lot more convenient (and safer feeling?) than being somewhere (eg montmartre) where you neeed to take the Metro to see anythng

Posted by
8 posts

I found a place in the St-Germaine de Pres area. Does anyone know if this is a good location?

Posted by
248 posts

St. Germaine des Pres is a highly desirable area - one of the best in the city. You'll be close to Saint Sulpice, Luxembourg Gardens, the famous cafes, great shopping, and close to the Seine and the Latin Quarter. Lots to do and to see there!

Posted by
2030 posts

I agree, St Germain des Pres is a good area - go for it!

Posted by
260 posts

Hotel des grans balcons is near Lux. Gardens. Cheap and very convenient and safe.