Please sign in to post.

Paris Hotels

I've been searching forever on here and I can't really find what i'm looking for and then when I do, I get overwhelmed with everything so I thought I'd ask this same question again.

My husband and I are going to Europe in October. We will be staying for 4 nights in Paris and I'm having a crapper of a time trying to find a decent hotel where I don't have to spend $400 a night. Perhaps I'm being too picky? I take reviews with a grain of salt but some hotels are just bad after bad after bad on tripadvisor.

So anyways, maybe you all can help me. I don't want to be on the outskirts of the city....perhaps somewhere in the 5th, 6th or 7th (or if anyone has a nice place anywhere else, i'm open). I would like to spend up to $250 a night but may be willing to go up to $300 (but that's my limit). I understand Paris is quite expensive so I would like to get the places you have stayed and what your experiences were like whether it's a 2, 3 or 4 star. Oh, and let me add, my husband would consider me to be "high maintenance" ;o) so I really don't want to rough it. I don't care about the size of the room as long as it has it's own bathroom/toilet and somewhere to stash the suitcase.

Hopefully that makes sense. Thanks for any and all help.

Posted by
225 posts

Rick's own book has a multitude of hotels well under $400 per night. One that I have stay at is Hotel Leveque on Rue Cler (7th Arr). Generally around 100 Euros per night and they have plenty of availability.

Posted by
114 posts

I would definitely recommend Grand Hotel Leveque. It's a little shabby, true, and the bathrooms are tiny, but it was comfortable and the price is good, and oh my gosh, Rue Cler is ideal--with all the little food markets and cafes. We could just graze from one end to the other and then start over again! Everything else you need is nearby, too--the ATM, a laundromat, an internet site, and a metro stop! We just spent a week in Venice and while it was lovely, we missed those little food markets on Rue Cler!

Posted by
53 posts

I was also overwhelmed when trying to find a hotel in Paris and ended up renting a great 1 bedroom apartment for $150 per night through vacationinparis.com in the 6th. There's an extra charge for staying less than 5 nights on most apartments, but it still might be worth looking into.

Posted by
42 posts

Hi everyone. Thank you so much for your replies. I was actually looking at the Leveque on Rue Cler for awhile then I don't know what happened, I started getting picky and looking at everything and now I don't even know what I want ha ha.

Kent, I will send you a PM.

Thanks again everyone.

Posted by
149 posts

Hi April, We have stayed at Hotel des Grandes Ecoles,a nice hotel with a garden courtyard. It is in the 5th arr. on a small square and in a lively district. The rates are about 125 Euros, and the rooms are nice. http://www.hotel-grandes-ecoles.com/ Charlie, Lodi, California

Posted by
852 posts

http://www.vacationinparis.com/

Hi April,
Karis (above) has a great idea. The web site is above. VacationInParis is a USA company with HQ office in New Jersey. We suggest you browse the photos, etc. of the apartments they manage, then call toll free (number in web site) about any unanswered questions. You could have the key to your way cool Paris apartment before you leave Windsor, Ontario Canada!

... bon voyage! ... P

Posted by
11507 posts

I stayed at the Hotel Le Regent , which is in the 6th , in an excellant area, nice staff and lovely room . If you go in the website and check out photos we got the room with the big yellow tiled bathroom. Good size, lots of room around sink to spread out, EXCELLANT shower, good water pressure , half glass door( no slimy curtains) , large tub. Room had safe and mini fridge, and desk. Room was reasonable size( booked a deluxe not the standard)but not what anyone would ever call large. Elevator was tiny.
We liked it.
I tried to get into Hotel Henri IV , but it is always booked, consider it if you can get in.

Accept rooms will be smaller, remember Paris is OLD, so there are no new building with huge rooms anywhere really, a city this big and this old is filled with small buildings, so therefore small rooms, it is part of charm.

Also , look at Hotel Brighton, but only if you can get a view room, I stayed there too, it is in the first , but the room and staff were very nice. Room

Posted by
11507 posts

cont. room was big for Paris. Elevator bigger, lobby nicer, price higher too, LOL Excellant location .

Should warn you October seems to have alot of trade shows etc, so hotel rates aren't low yet, but you may get lucky.

Check out websites for
Hotel Brighton
Hotel Le Regent
Hotel Henri IV

PS I have stayed at a few two stars that were cheap and clean and safe.

Posted by
277 posts

I recently stayed at the Hotel Nepoleon. A 4* half a block from the Arc. Great hotel, great location. Family owned since 1924. E. Flynn, J. Baker, and O Wells was many of their guests. Read my and other reviews on tripadvisor.com and read specifics on the hotel's web site.

Posted by
9420 posts

Paris is not expensive at all! Not compared to any US city. You can get hotels in Paris for $150 that would cost $300 here in San Francisco. All of Rick's recommendations are good hotels. We've stayed at Hotel du Pantheon (no longer in Rick's book but really good at about $150), Hotel des Grandes Ecoles (overpriced for what you get, I think, and a little too far from where I like being, western part of the 5th, the 6th and Notre Dame), Hotel St. Jacques on rue des Ecoles about 3 blocks from Notre Dame in the 5th, and this year we're staying at a hotel I've always wanted to stay at on Ile St. Louis, my most favorite area in all of Paris, at Hotel de Lutece which is in Rick's book and we'll be paying about $175. They own another hotel 1/2 block away, Hotel des Deux Iles which charges a little less. I've been to both hotels on past trips and they are very nice. I think any hotel in Rick's books are a safe bet.

Posted by
9420 posts

The star rating in Europe is not the same as it is here, it has nothing to do with the quality or comfort of a hotel. It is solely based on amenities...hair dryers, phones, tv's, refrigerators, ac. A hotel in Europe could have 4 stars and be a dump. Rick explains it well in his books.

Posted by
23 posts

Stayed at the Hotel Tourville last October. Was under $200/night, smallest room I have ever stayed in (but that was because of the Rugby World Cup) but we only made our reservation 3 weeks ahead of time - probably got their last room!

Lobby was nice, room was clean, bed was comfortable, plenty of hot water, didn't try their breakfast. Our room faced the street, but the double-paned windows kept out the noise. We made friends w/ another couple who were staying there, they had a much larger room. It is conveniently located around the corner from the Ecole Militaire Metro, there is a laundromat about 50 yards from the front door of the hotel. Local markets, Rue Cler about a 5 minute walk. I'd stay there again.

Posted by
23 posts

Oh, I forgot to add, the staff are extremely helpful. On 3 of the 4 nights we stayed there, they made reservations for us at the restaurants we wanted to eat at. We ALWAYS got the reservation for the time and the restaurant we wanted (Au Bon Accueil, Le Tastevin, Les Ormes - not Les Ombres at Quai Branly). We did not need much in the way of direction, but any time we asked for information or assistance, they were excellent!

Posted by
194 posts

Hotel Muguet in the 7e! We stayed here on two different occasions and loved our rooms both times. Smaller rooms, but VERY nicely decorated and modern bathrooms. It's a few streets over from the Rue Cler, close to the metro, and very walkable to the Eiffel Tower, Invalides, and we even walked from the Arc di Triomphe, along the Champs Elysees, across the Pont Alexandre to our hotel! Afterall, how better to see Paris than to walk, walk, walk? All for 135 Euro (I just looked on their website)for two. www.hotelparismuguet.com

Posted by
711 posts

Hi April.. As the previous posts have mentioned, there are lots of hotels that are less expensive in the Rue Cler area of Paris. Many are full for October by now. May I recommend the Hotel Muguet, Relais Bosquet, or others in Rick's book on Paris . Hotel Champ de Mars is full and the Levecque is too American and, for me, not a good value.There are good apartments in the area. Go to vacationinparis.com. These are lovely apartments that do not have to be rented for a whole week.Another good thing about these apartments is that one pays in dollars, not euros.If you go to the website,check on the apartments in the 7th arr. They may be full by now , but it is worth a try. Send me a private message and let me know how you are doing.

Posted by
220 posts

Let me be the third to recommend Hotel Muguet. We'e stayed there twice and will again in June.

Posted by
19 posts

Here's one more hotel recommendation, the Hotel du Champ du Mars in the Rue Cler (7th). The neighborhood is charming, Metro is close, simple cafes near by. Can't miss. It's in Rick's book.

Posted by
14 posts

Hi April...I was in Paris 2 years ago and stayed at a WONDERFUL little hotel in Rue Cler called Hotel Muguet. They were just beginning renovations on the hotel when I was staying there and I have looked at their website since they did a BEAUTIFUL job! I believe they told me they completely renovate every 5 years. It was not only beautiful, but super clean, too! They have an elevator and breakfast is available. I ended up staying there for 17 nights and they gave me a single room rate at 75 euro per night. I'm sure you can find something with them that is well, well under 200 euros a night. The hotel was a 5 min walk from the Ecole Militaire metro station and about a 20 min walk to the Eiffel Tower and about a 10 min walk to Invalides. You couldn't beat the location for the price. There's a supermarket and all kinds of shops and cafes nearby...as well as some wonderful restaurants! And if you stay there, be sure to meet Martin, the night desk clerk, he's GREAT! www.hotelmuguet.com

Posted by
365 posts

I recommend Hotel Marignan.

http://www.hotel-marignan.com/

It's not fancy but it's not dumpy. High maintenance is never good in Paris, but check out the website and see for yourself. You can't find a better location...walk to Notre Dame etc. in a few minutes.

Posted by
42 posts

Thanks so much for all your replies. I never thought so many would respond! :o) I have checked out some hotels and will check out the others soon. you have made my life a lot easier. The only thing that concerns me is the one person who says the hotels are already booking up for October (ah!) as we will not be ready to book for a little while. I guess I will have to take my chances. Thanks again!

Posted by
7209 posts

www.venere.com would be exceptionally easy way to find what you are looking forward. It lists area, total price AND reviews all in 1 place.

Posted by
11507 posts

You know April, you CAN book now, and cancel , if need be,, most hotel have decent cancellation policies. Check them out. I would rather do that then have a struggle trying to book in June!

Posted by
151 posts

You might want to check out Hotel Royal St. Honore. Make sure you put in the Royal as without the Royal is a completely different hotel. It is in the first district and very close to the Louve and the center. We spent four nights there two years ago and the price then was about $225.per night. It was four stars and first class all the way. You would not be roughing it by any means. Parking was also available.

Posted by
1 posts

Paris hotel Academie St Germain has pretensions for 3-
boutique hotel, and prices accordingly. There is
advertising, pretty pictures,etc. Don't believe the
hype. Above the ground floor it's a 1* : broken furni-
ture and bathroom fixtures, very poor linens and house-
keeping,spotty hot water.
If you are looking for an honest budget hotel you can
find one at half the price and better quality than
le Academie.
Rick K.

Posted by
77 posts

try booking for hotel du pantheon/ Des Grande Hommes ..They have last minute rates and fall promotions for less than 125 Euros per night.( Only they are non refundable)
The same website also has reservation and promotional rates for des grande hommes/ Sorbonne/ Best Western Eiffel park...I found promotional rates as low as 109 Euros...Which is a steal for these hotels.
Hotel Relias Bosquet has a 3 night stay promotional rate for 135 Euro and free breakfast everyday of your stay if you are a Rick Steves reader.

Posted by
518 posts

We stayed at the Hotel Relais Bosquet last summer. It is just off the Rue Cler.It was a wonderful hotel. We especially enjoyed the A/C and electric black out blinds. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. We liked it the best of the hotels we have stayed. I don't remember the price, but it was not too bad -- a bit more than some of the Rue Cler hotels but, it was nicer as well. They had a nice breakfast also, but it was not included in the price.

Posted by
42 posts

Hey thanks for the few new replies in the last few days. We actually went on our trip last October and I rented an apartment through cross-pollinate. It was fantastic and in a great neighbourhood! :o)

Posted by
486 posts

We stayed at the Hôtel Apollon Montparnasse
1) Block away from a Metro Station
2) Walking distance to the Montparnasse SNCF station
3) Easy connection to CDG airport via Air France bus between CDG and Montparnasse
4) Decent neighborhood.
5) Reasonable price (DB was 85€/night)
6) Good ratings on tripadvisor.
7) Nice people at the hotel.