Please sign in to post.

Paris Hotels

I am planning on visiting Paris this summer. I wanted to ask if anyone has a hotel that is reasonably priced for a solo traveler. Edit: I visited Paris on one of the 7 day tours in 2009. I loved the hotel but when I looked at prices, it was over 200 euros for a single. I was hoping for something around 150 or less a night. I would like an en suite bathroom. It would be great if the hotel was near a metro station. I enjoyed the 7th. I like quieter neighborhoods. I do not care about elevator service. I don't have AC at home so I can survive without it.

Posted by
11294 posts

What do you consider reasonably priced? And are there any amenities you want or need at that price (like en-suite bathroom, elevator, A/C, or WiFi)? For my past few trips, I've stayed at the Grand Hotel des Balcons: http://www.balcons.com/. The rooms are plainer than the fancy lobby, but are serviceable, and the location is great. There is an elevator but no A/C. I see that most nights, a single is now €94 (they have not yet loaded rates for next year). There are certainly cheaper places available, if that's too high a price.

Posted by
32201 posts

Joanna, I'd suggest having a look at the RS Paris Guidebook, as that has listings for a variety of hotels in various parts of Paris. That should provide you with the information to choose a hotel based on price, comfort level and location. The Pocket Paris book would be a good resource to pack along. I had a copy with me when I was in Paris in July, and it was very useful. Do you have a preference for which part of Paris (Arrondissement) you want to stay in? It's difficult to recommend a hotel without that information. Cheers!

Posted by
14 posts

I edited my initial post to clarify my inquiry. Thank you for asking me the questions to think about!

Posted by
32201 posts

Joanna, Thanks for the clarification. A couple hotels you could consider..... > Hotel Grand Leveque, which is in the 7th on Rue Cler. I've stayed there several times (most recently in July), and it's somewhat "no frills" but quite comfortable. Some of their rooms do have a shared bathroom, so be sure to specify one with ensuite (the shower will likely be SMALL). > Hotel Muguet, also in the 7th and a bit more upscale but they sometimes have special prices. Both hotels are close to the Ecole Militaire Metro stop, so easy access and of course walking distance to the Eiffel Tower. Happy travels!

Posted by
11507 posts

I have visited solo, and alone with young kids. I recommend these hotels( I have stayed at all of them ) They are all clean, safe, and extremely WELL LOCATED. All have a/c ( I can't stand heat ) and most have mini fridge to stock with snacks etc... All are small and have small rooms, I don't stay in chain hotels and I can't afford a hotel with a large room. All are within easy walking distance to many sites, the river, and metro and RER stations. All have been under 150 euros, many under 120, and some are under 100 euros . Hotel Diane Hotel St Pierre Hotel Eugenie Hotel Place de la Louvre Hotel Grand Hommes ( this one is a bit further away from river, near Luxembourg Gardens across street from Pantheon, I got a good deal on this one, but it can be over budget ) Hotel Claude Bernard. ps.. this one is WAY cheaper in july and august then in june... june is pricey month, if you are trying to save money many hotels will do summer special rates , business travel is down so hotel rates often drop mid july thru august.

Posted by
1 posts

I have to travel a lot for my business, some times in Europe, but mostly in the United States I used to use sites like Travelocity, but I quickly found a better way to find deals is to go to a second level - those sites like http://starhotelreservations.com who compare hundreds of different booking sites in one single search. So you not only see Trivago or Expedia deals but ALL of them in one place. I must have saved over 3,000 euros since I started using them. I agree, just using one of the top booking sites is not the best idea for you trip to Paris.

Posted by
437 posts

Hotel Royal Phare is nice, clean, across the street from a metro station, short walk to The Eiffel, good breakfast, en suite and elevator, no A/C.
Our 7th floor room had a view of the Eiffel :-) but most room look into the street or the courtyard.

Posted by
1335 posts

Try the Hotel Saint Petersbourg in the Opera quarter on Caumartin street right down the street from the Olympia Theatre. http://www.hotelsaintpetersbourg.com/ They usually have a lovely single for 99EUROS with an ensuite bathroom. A breakfast buffet ( a good one at that!) is also included. It has air conditioning and a small elevator, and a lovely lobby. It's right down the street from where Roissybus drops you off from the airport. It's my favorite.

Posted by
34 posts

Joanna, We visited Paris this past May for 7 days and because my husband is cheap/frugal he found a hotel for 70€ for a double. The room was basic on a side street in the St Germain close to the Odeon and Luxembourg Gardens Metro and RER stations..the address is 41 rue Monsieur le Prince.. .and there is a good ole Starbucks around the corner as well as a Monoprix! There is no lift and it was cool then so I don't know about a/c. There is an en suite but it's basic. The hotel is Hotel Stella-http://stella-hotel.voila.net hotelstella@hotmail.com -we are going back next May and are booking a room there currently. It is a cash only with no real frills but the location is perfect and it is next door to the Pollidor restaurant which is a local place where you push in where there is room and the waitress speakers no English but is friendly! We had the best beef bourguignon there with a bottle of Alsace red and talked all evening to other tourists from Sweden and Australia the restaurant was also seen in midnight in Paris where he first sees Hemingway..hope it helps! Happy travels! Ragan

Posted by
1819 posts

Can you sleep comfortably in a room that's 90 degrees and stuffy? (You could easily experience that in Paris in the summer.) If not, try to find a room with air conditioning. There are several listed in the previous responses to your question.

Posted by
1010 posts

I so totally agree with the last post. Paris in the summer is miserable. We have been there three times (May - June). Even the businesses which do have a/C, don't have it to the colder temperatures we are used to here in the U.S. We almost past out going indoor to some of their restaurants, little stores and dept. stores. London does a much better job of their a/c. People just sweat all over the place and don't seem to notice that they stink. We wouldn't go anywhere in Europe, without a/c. There isn't ANY air circulation in many of their hotels. The hotel we stayed in, all three times, had a/c, but not in the lobby. We still weren't able to adjust the a/c to as cold as we wanted it either.

Posted by
228 posts

We stayed at hotel cluny-sorbonne last summer. Small room with comfortable bed/night stands/ armoire and en-suite bathroom with shower/sink/toilet. Very large window opened up to view the rooftops of the sorbonne university, and during the day their class-room windows were wide open too. 24 hour front desk that no-one can get past without the clerk checking you back in (i.e. secure). Walking distance to everything you need including the metro. enjoy your time!
http://www.hotel-cluny.fr/hotel-cluny-sorbonne.html