Please sign in to post.

Paris at the end of April 2012

Hello! I have just booked tickets to Paris at the end of April. What is your favorite neighborhood to stay in and do you have any recommendations for budget stays? If possible, I am interested in something other than a hostel, but am open to any suggestions. We don't need something extravagant and would like something for 80EUR a night or less. Thanks in advance!

Posted by
32219 posts

Courtney, I always prefer to stay in the Rue Cler "neighborhood" in the 7th, close to the Eiffel Tower. Some consider it a bit "touristy", but I like the atmosphere there, and it's relatively close to some of the main sights (Eiffel Tower, Rodin Museum, Military Museum, etc). Unfortunately, I'm not sure if you'll find anything in the range of €80 in that area? If you could increase your budget slightly, the Grand Hotel Leveque has rooms starting at €95 for a double. I've stayed there a few times, and it's somewhat "basic" but I found the rooms to be quite comfortable. Happy travels!

Posted by
3049 posts

With the short timing and relatively small budget but not wanting to stay in a hostel, your options are limited and you're probably going to just find yourself focusing on affordable + decent as opposed to really having your pick of the neighborhoods. I booked for 2 nights during the week for 9 May - 11 May a week ago and was already having trouble finding decent affordable rooms and my budget was around 100-110EUR night. Finally settled for a hotel in Montmarte for 120 because my other cheaper options were all out at the ring road and I didn't want to spend so much time schlepping. I looked up some places I'd stayed at that were around your price range when I stayed there last summer, and their April dates are all over 100EUR. So I can't recommend anything specific. I'd get on Booking.com and book something near a Metro stop ASAP, at least that way you can get around efficiently.

Posted by
3941 posts

have you tried airbnb.com? Used it for a trip to Boston last year, and plan to use it this year for our trip to Europe...I had marked for future ref for myself a few great looking places in Montmartre area for 60-70euro a night...but where you are going soon, places could be booked up...

Posted by
40 posts

I would recommend checking out hostelworld.com, because they also list inexpensive hotels along with hostels. I found the Monmartre area to have the cheapest accommodations, but my personal favorite area is on the left bank.

Posted by
11507 posts

Courtney,, I know this place has doubles for 78 euros a night,, because I have booked it myself ,, BUT it was for August when rates are often a bit lower, and I booked it far in advance.. but look at it anyways. If you can get a room there for a good price you will love love love the location,, its the best. I have stayed at this hotel before and the rooms are SMALL but clean and staff was nice. Hotel Saint Pierre ( the one on Rue D'Ecole de Medincine, there are a few hotels with similar names, so this is the one you want) Also I have seen some great rates for the TimHotel Jardins des Plantes,, also a good location. I have not stayed here, but its a chain hotel that is clean and basic and the reviews on it all look fairly good. Hotel Diana and Hotel College du France are also good budget-moderate hotels, both in excellant areas, with good reviews,, but I am afraid you have left it way too late to get rooms at either of them, you might as well check in case there was a cancellation. Another thought is to check out a site like latebookings.com. Oh thought of another hotel ,, the Hotel Marignan,, sort of a hotel with some hostel like room situations, Some rooms with private bathrooms , some not.. but good prices for a great area and well reviewed. At this point you are going to have to really hustle to get a good rate for a good room.. you will find a hotel for sure, but getting deals is easier with advance planning.

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks for all of the advice! I've looked at all of the options you have all provided and I think I might have luck with Hotel Marignan. It seems to be a great location with prices in my range. I can't wait to explore Paris for the first time! I'd love to hear any other recommendations for cafes, walks, activities, etc in the Latin Quarter and surrounding areas. Thanks again! Courtney