Please sign in to post.

Paris at Christmas

We are going to be arriving in Paris Christmas Eve and will be there nine days. Has anyone been there at this time to advise if and when the stores close on Christmas Eve? We assume there will be a few restaurants open, but just in case, we would like to stock up on food. We are renting a condo in the Luxembourg Gardens area.
Thanks - Bill

Posted by
12040 posts

I don't know about Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, but the day after Christmas, stores are open as normal. At least in Belgium, Carrefour and their smaller GB outlets are open on the morning of Christmas Eve. I'm not sure about their stores in France, though.

Posted by
144 posts

We get there about 1:00 PM December 24th. Thanks - Bill

Posted by
893 posts

Some shops will close early on Christmas Eve, as early as lunchtime. Others will be open til their usual 7-8pm. You may have more trouble finding an open restaurant on Christmas Eve than Christmas, but Paris is a tourist area, so something will be open. Latin Quarter and Jewish Quarter are areas that I would think would have something open, but haven't been there on those days, so I don't know for sure.

Posted by
524 posts

William Closer to your departure, I would ask the condo owner or intermediary for advice. Where is the nearest Monoprix or local small grocer, wine store, fresh fruit and vegetable store, etc.? Hours? What nearby restaurants are open Christmas Eve night and Christmas Day? Should you make reservations? Also consider using your condo address with Pages Jaunes, a French Yellow Pages, which shows your street visually so you can "walk" the neighborhood. You can go up, down, and turn corners to check out local shops. Bobbie